San Diego, which property?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Kalboz, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am posting this here also to enhance our options ... which property in San Diego for an upcoming stay in late July to see Seaworld, the zoo, old town, etc. We are a family of 4 (two under 3 years) and interested in the following properties:
    • Sheraton Suites at Symphony Hall
    • Sheraton Hotel & Marina
    • Sheraton Mission Valley
    • The Westin San Diego
    • The Westin Gaslamp
    • THE US GRANT
    • Sheraton La Jolla
    • W San Diego
    Considering the following:

- Location and vicinity to attractions, water-front, entertainment, dining, etc.
    - Bennies: Platinum treatment & amenities (UG, lounge, free minibar, breakfast, etc.)
    - The views of the ocean.

Thank you!

uggboy likes this.
  2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in San Diego, so haven't stayed at these hotels. However, you are not going to have an ocean view from any of them. The Sheraton Hotel & Marina will have water views of San Diego Bay from many of the rooms. It's located on the water on Harbor Island close to the airport and very well located for getting everywhere. Harbor Island has restaurants, hotels, marinas, and lots of grassy areas and walkways along the water.

The Westin San Diego has bay view rooms but is some distance from the bay itself. The Sheraton La Jolla is on a mesa several miles from the village of La Jolla and the ocean. Their web page says they have garden view and pool view rooms. :( You will spend a lot of time of the freeway getting to places. The rest are downtown hotels right in the city center.

For a vacation I would definitely suggest the Sheraton Marina Towers, especially with children. Be aware there are two hotels there: the Sheraton Hotel and Marina and the Sheraton Bay Tower. Bay Tower is smaller and less expensive, airline crews stay there. I think the lounge is only at the Marina Tower. The hotel shuttle runs between the two buildings which are a 5 minute walk apart..

The Bird's Eye view on the hotel maps will give you a good idea of what the properties are like.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not go wrong with The US Grant. The staff alone makes the stay worthwhile. The only downside is the rooms can be a bit on the small side.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The US Grant is a lovely hotel with good service but the rooms (including standard select suites) are very small and so are their bathrooms. There is no lounge and no free breakfast. I do not consider this property suitable for children. There is no pool or outdoor space and the restaurant (which is almost part of the bar) isn't kid friendly either.

I'nm not sure the W is a good choice for kids either, but at least it has a pool, albeit with an adult pool scene and bar.

Chimpy, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Unfortunately the OP seems to be looking at Hyatt or SPG, and I haven't personally stayed at any relevant properties in the area. I did stay at the Hilton on East Mission Bay (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/SANHIHF-Hilton-San-Diego-Resort-Spa-California/index.do) and it's a fantastic property IMO, especially if you have kids. 2 miles from SeaWorld and has water sports, children activities and even babysitting services.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Hyatt Manchester, although not as a Diamond, and posted a brief answer in the Hyatt thread on this question earlier.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you should've posted this to the general forum, well,we're not TOBB but crossposting's a bit of a faux pas IMHO :D
    Plus you'll get a livelier discussion in a catchall post.
    Anyway,
    I go to school in SAN so i've had the opportunity to stay at Starwood properties here(and have lunch every so often at one property).
    The Sheraton La Jolla (which I go have lunch at)has a great view of....the 5 and Village La Jolla Drive(very busy road right in front of my school) ;) .Its a bit old too. Great staff though. Not too sure about bennies as I'm gold via spend.
    I've also been to the W and I agree with our Forum Economist that it would be a bit awkward for kids. Great rooms. Location is not the best though and obviously pricy as its a W ;)
    I agree with lili, the Marina Towers is a good choice.

8. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent about 45 minutes in the W lobby waiting for the Concierge to find the item I was sent to pick up and would not recommend it with kids. It's über-trendy even for a W, and the hip-factor was overwhelming . It's smack in the Gaslamp, and driving to and from beach, Sea World etc would be a nightmare. Agree with MSPeconomist that the US Grant, though lovely, would not be kid friendly as it's on the stuffy end of the spectrum. The Hyatt Manchester might not be bad - close to the water, Seaport Village and some open space.

9. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I agree.
    (W too hip for you?heh:D)

sdcarver, uggboy, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  10. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with lili, go with Sheraton Marina Towers just make sure to get the Marina Towers Hotel, I have stayed there a few times last year when the had their $99 specials--decent pool and lounge...

sdcarver

Kalboz likes this.