San Diego, which property?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kalboz, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... for an upcomin stay in San Diego in late July to see Seaworld, the zoo, old town, etc. We are a family of 4 (two under 3 years) and interested in the following properties:

• Andaz San Diego
    • Manchester GH
    • HR La Jolla
    • HR Mission Bay
    Considering the following:

- Location and vicinity to attractions, water-front, entertainment, dining, etc.
    - Diamond treatment & amenities (UG, lounge, free minibar, breakfast, etc.)
    - The views of the ocean.

Thank you!

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only one of these that I know is the Manchester GH. It's a large convention hotel but newer and nicer than most. It's located right on the water but within walking distance of San Diego's downtown historic district. There's a waterfront commercial area with restaurants, bars, cafes, right on the edge of the property which is touristic but fun. One disadvantage is of the hotel that its outdoor pool has a sort of manmade little mountain service area which blocks views of the bay/ocean from the pool area. Some of the rooms on higher floors should have good water views. I was on a very high floor but had mostly downtown views as a Gold on a cheap run-of-house group rate.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Frequent Flyer Bonuses

Frequent Flyer Bonuses Z Representative

Status Points:
    I am a fan of HR Mission Bay, stayed there twice now with my family (kids were 5/3 and 7/5). Both times had a view of the Ocean (once was UG as Platinum to Club level floor 17), super close to Sea World and Mission Beach. Great pools and water slides to be enjoyed as a family.

4. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Andaz is located in the downtown Gaslamp district, with no ocean views. The area is fairly noisy, as the Andaz has a nightclub and there are others nearby. With young kids, I wouldn't stay there.

HR La Jolla is away from the ocean and does not have water views, though La Jolla is a nice upscale area with lots of shops and eateries.

HR Mission Bay, as noted, has a great pool with a water slide. You can take the water taxi to Sea World, and it has some good water views. I like the restaurant, but for other dining options you'll need to drive. Diamond recognition is good. I got a suite upgrade without a certificate. For my personal trip to San Diego next month, this was my choice. If your kids are old enough to enjoy a big pool with water slides, I'd recommend here.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed several times. You might check to see if the Club has reopened -- we got 2500 HGP points Closed Club bonus here, as well as upgrades each time to a beautiful corner room. Might be different for a larger party. Pool is great. Fine dining at Red Marlin -- you might be able to find Restaurant.com certificates for it. At the time we were there, as the Club was closed, we got a great complimentary full breakfast at Red Marlin. We really like this property, and our San Diego friends that we treated there when we had booked a special with food credit said they were glad to have such a good restaurant to take their (other) friends to.

6. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go with the Manchester Grand if you can get a conference suite using one of your Diamond upgrades. You will be very happy with the extra space. La Jolla is a nice hotel and may be one of my best upgrades ever but its not by the water. Hyatt Mission Bay is not bad but the suite they give Diamonds are very small and cheaply put together. You have kids so I don't think Andaz is even an option, or at least it would not be for me with my kid. Plus I think most of the Andaz reviews here and on FT sum it up as a night club first and a hotel second. The Grand is only about 15 mins away from Sea World. You can also walk right out the back door to Seaport Village shopping or a few blocks to endless Bars and restaurants.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My brother reports that he bid and got the Manchester Grand for $70/night (about $87/night including tax and fees) at Priceline for this holiday weekend!

uggboy and Wurm like this.
  8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Downtown hotel business is heavily driven by whether there is a major show or convention going on at the adjacent Convention Center. I have obtained good rates similar to what your brother got, at hotels like the Hyatt and the nearby Omni and Solamar (Kimpton), when there was no show going on (the last time in, there were about 12,000 cheerleaders checking in on my departure day) :eek::eek:

Parking costs need to be taken into account when staying downtown/Gaslamp, of course.

9. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    They had a $125 per night AAA rate booking direct with breakfast. The place was sold out Sat night and the Grand club was wall to wall people.

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Regency Mission Bay is on offer by Hautelook.com through Feb. 2012, for as low as $117 per night
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.