San Diego passengers upset with how Spirit Airlines treated them

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by Newscience, Aug 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passengers upset with how Spirit Airlines treated them

Dozens of Spirit Airlines passengers are spending extra time in San Diego on their own dime.

Flight 564 was canceled from San Diego to O'Hare Airport Monday due to thunderstorms, but passengers told 10News it was delayed twice before it was canceled. The passengers contacted 10News, irate at how the airline treated them...

Read the story here:

http://www.10news.com/news/passengers-upset-with-how-spirit-airlines-treated-them-081715

vickers and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Spirit charges $107 R/T for that flight, so I would be thankful if the plane even has doors and seats.

A lot of people underestimate the value of a decent carrier when booking, concentrating on the price and foregoing things like the type of airplane or even if the carrier is in an alliance. I know I personally swore off LCCs a while back and have not regretted it yet, particularly during IROPs.

uggboy, vickers and Newscience like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    While they probably could have been more forthcoming with the reasons for the delays leading up to cancellation due to weather, they offered what they are required to. How did they expect to be treated when they flew on the airline that advertises itself as "cheap"? People expectations amaze me. Spirit has no alliance partners, so options are very limited for rebooking. And if they took a refund on a portion of a $100 ticket, they are going to pay a much higher fare on another airline for a same-day flight.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Spirit in the US is like Ryanair in Europe, I guess that what they offer, how they offer it and how they treat their passengers wasn't in the "spirit" of the fathers of aviation, but there's demand and yes, there will be complaints too. No pun intended. Thanks for sharing Newscience. :)

Newscience likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you expect the average civilian to know that?

vickers likes this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not my expectations that caused an issue. Its the passengers of Spirit. ;)

But personally, try to understand the policies of transportation I take.

uggboy likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are not the average civilian, though (neither am I).

Besides, I was on a AA flight recently where they kicked 10 or so pax off for weight restrictions, and they didn't offer rebooking on another carrier (may not have been able to, considering how full flights are these days) and no option on AA until 244 hrs later.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    viguera and vickers like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's part of the problem though... nowadays, in spite of it being a truly First World issue, flying is so common to so many people that they don't think about it any more than they do taking the bus or public transportation, or flipping a switch to turn on a light... they just assume things work, that there's "a system" that takes care of things, and they just follow the motions.

Those people see the fare and book, and have no second thoughts about "the system" behind the scenes that controls that flight, all the things that could go wrong and how they could hedge against them.

A LOT of people look at this flight with Spirit for $107 and book it, because the UA / AA / whatever flight for $239 or $400 is "outrageous" (by comparison, of course). Most of the time things go "right" -- which means a terrible flight with some delays -- and they're happy because they only paid $107, while you and I paid more. When things go wrong though, all of the sudden it's outrage.

gaijin62 and vickers like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just looked at fares on Kayak.

SAN-ORD Sept 7-11

Spirit: $197
    AA: $265

Once you add carry-on bag fees and maybe a boarding pass or a seat assignment or a beverage on Spirit, you probably aren't saving much flying Spirit.

So maybe then it's not all that wrong to have similar expectations? ;)

viguera likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look at some departures the difference is staggering though...

9/12-9/16 Spirit is $107 all in, nonstop. The closest fare to that is United at $295, then AA at $410.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So perhaps the best self-insurance strategy is to book seats on two consecutive days, so if the first one cancels you can at least likely fly the next day, and still for less than AA/UA? ;)

viguera likes this.
  12. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or spend ~$50 on travel insurance.

viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not curious enough to look, but does Spirit (or any other Ultra LCC) even offer travel insurance?

14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

other ones do, no idea about spirit. It's another place where they can make some more money over the base fare. Why wouldn't they offer it?

-David

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im sure someone who is flying Spirit for the low, low prices is not going to fork over extra money for travel insurance.

17. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true, though I considered booking a Spirit one-way for Oct for the first time ever (and I think my eyeballs are still burned from all that yellow on their website), but in the end, when I added the fee for one personal item carry-on, it was only ~$30 less than an evil legacy where I could earn 50% rdm. :mad: Thankfully I'm a procrastinator and AA offered a super duper fare weeks later.

Anywho, back on topic. I've used tripinsurancestore for years to insure my whacky and/or intl itins. A policy to cover a $1000 itin is ~$50 which would have covered these stranded pax with alternate flights and/or hotel accommodations.