San Diego Padres Tickets and Advice

Discussion in 'California' started by DaveS&V, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DaveS&V
    Original Member

DaveS&V Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to start my USA road trip in San Diego and noticed the Padres will be playing the Phillies on Friday April 22nd April the day after I get into San Diego from the UK. I always like to take in a bit of sport on a trip and was wondering if anyone here could help with the following:
    • Does the ground normally sell out in well in advance or can you buy tickets on the day
    • Where are the best places to buy tickets on the day or in advance
    • Planning to stay near the Gas Lamp district can I walk or get public transport to the ground
    • Are the Padres and Phillies any good
    If anyone can help with any of the above it would be much apreciated.

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:

There are probably tickets available on game day, but it is safest to buy in advance, depending on how fussy you are about what sort of seats you have. (My preference is for being more central but higher up to being at field level in the far outfield, but others feel differently.) I usually do that on-line though I hate the added fees of doing so. If you do wait until the day of the game, just go over to the ballpark box office.

The ballpark is an easy walk from the Gas Lamp district. There's a trolley stop nearby if you want to stay elsewhere. I stayed at the Hilton across from the convention center when I went to a game there a couple of years ago and it was fine.

As for whether either team is any good, the Phillies have been very competitive the last couple of years. I actually like going to games where I don't care about either team because I can focus more on the quality of play.

DaveS&V likes this.
  3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Omni San Diego is connected to Petco Park via walkway, I believe on the third floor.
    The park is also a very easy walk from Gas Lamp District.

DaveS&V likes this.
  4. DaveS&V
    Original Member

DaveS&V Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback will look at the options of buying tickets on-line not sure if they will deliver to the UK but I would have thought I should be able to pick them up from the ticket office. Looking foward to the game as it will be my second baseball game the first being a Cubs game at Wrigley Field a few years ago. Now I will just need to watch a few of the games shown over here to brush up on the rules.

5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the skybridge, Omni guests are supposed to have access to the Omni Premier Club, an upscale restaurant in the stadium itself.

[​IMG]

DaveS&V likes this.
  6. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can choose "will call" to pick up tickets at the box office. I'm not sure about San Diego because I had those tickets mailed to me when I went there, but at some ballparks there are machines where you just insert the credit card you used to buy the ticket and it spits it out, saving time over waiting in line.

There is also generally an option to print your ticket yourself, which sometimes requires a fee. All of your options, with the associated cost, should be shown to you from the ticket purchase page.

DaveS&V likes this.
  7. DaveS&V
    Original Member

DaveS&V Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very useful infomation