San Diego Mexican Food

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Captain Oveur, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is kind of a loaded question, but can anyone name any really good "hole-in-the-wall" Mexican take-out places in San Diego? I know of one, but it's on El Cajon and not really a location I want to go to all the time.

2. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a Taco Shop at the corners of West Point Loma Boulevard/Midway Drive/and Sports Arena Boulevard has a good shrimp tostada, it's also on the menu as a ceviche tostada. They make their own green sauce and red sauce.The green is usually the milder of the two.
    2shrimp_tostada_iatssd.jpg

tom911 likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your responses. Going to try and get to at least one of them this weekend.

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a hole in the wall but I really enjoy the Carne Asada burrito from Sombrero's.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let us know where you dined.

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  8. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And should you have a hankerin' for something not Mexican and want to try a different sandwich, I recommend the bahn mi (Vietnamese sandwich) from Pho Point Loma and Grill. They have barbecued pork, chicken, and beef. I've tried all three and all are very good. Made on fresh, warm French bread, not overloaded with meat but chock full of flavor, and coming in at just under four bucks, a great inexpensive lunch.

Back on the Mexican train, I've had good carne asada burritos from Roberto's in Ocean Beach (4770 Voltaire Street, San Diego 92017--near the intersection of Voltaire Street and Sunset Cliffs Boulevard) and Roberto's in Mission Beach (3202 Mission Blvd San Diego 92109--across from the roller coaster at Belmont Park). Over in OMNI on FT I've sung the praises of the Roberto's carne asada burritos for a long time. If you look at their web site, the carne asada burrito is the image on the top left of the main page. They are cooked to order and I love them. Warning--one carne asada burrito is a LOT of food. It's my experience that the carne asada burritos from Roberto's and It's a Taco Shop are better (more flavorful) than the ones from most of the sit-down restaurants, but YYMV.

El Indio, mentioned in Courcoison's post above is another longtime favorite of mine. Especially their tortilla chips.I've never had something that I didn't like at El Indio, and I got an A on a paper I wrote about the place when I was in college :)

Have a great time and enjoy some good food in America's Finest City (my hometown). :)

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nati's in Ocean Beach is one of our favorites! Jealous my sister was there last week. :D

Freddie Listo and lili like this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did go to El Indio.

Can see why it's popular; charming place in a quirky neighborhood, right off the freeway, easy (private) parking.

I thought the food was a little better than okay, maybe "okay +." I had a chicken burrito and chicken taco...those didn't quite meet my expectations, but they were far from the worst I've ever had.

The one thing I didn't like were the chips. Too hard, nothing much to them.

Overall, I would go there again. Can't say it would be my first choice, though.

jean9nine likes this.
  11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have been to both Roberto's (near Torrey Pines) and El Indio. Thought Roberto's was better. I think you're spot-on about the carne asada at Roberto's.

I want to try that Taco Shop a block away from El Indio (two L's, forget the name). Driven by there a few times, always a line out the door.

Will also try that other taco shop you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thank you for everyone's input.

12. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like Nati's. One of the owners taught me how to swim in her family's backyard pool when I was a kid. Really nice family:) Point Loma/OB area = small town. :) I usually hit up Nati's at least once when I am home. I like the cheese enchiladas. Their hot carrots are GREAT!

rwoman likes this.
  13. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    saw this late but if you come back try Las Cuatro Milpas in Marrio Logan. Definitely a hole in the wall place and it gets real busy at lunch time but it can't be beat.

Freddie Listo and rwoman like this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean Barrio Logan? :D

This place also has some of the best made-in-house tortillas I've ever had! :) They run out early and we go whenever in SD in the AM.

:)

15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    La Lucha Libre. I keep meaning to go there and never remember until I see it as I'm driving away from El Indio.

Nati's has been my go-to Mexican forever (unless I'm on my way home from the airport.) It's always amazing to see Luisa's beautiful smile and swift service. She's been there since they opened over 50 years ago.

rwoman likes this.
  16. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I'm in La Jolla I try to eat at Don Carlos Taco Shop (on Pearl). Their tamales are hard to beat, and they make dessert tamales as well.

There's plenty of places on University Avenue between 805 and 15 that have lines around the block, but it may not be the best area after dark.

The other places I can think of are near Market Street and 25th like Adalberto's (Sherman Heights). Humberto's on 25th and Broadway always does a good business late at night and is in a good neighborhood. Humberto's is also close by a Mexican bakery (Panchita's on C and 25th) that is very good.

Can't vouch for anything on University or Market & 25th though.

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we talk about Mexican food...what are your favorite fish taco places?

Much to my surprise, my #1 is Taqueria Del Sol in Atlanta...even my family from California agree...I would NOT think of great fish tacos in Atlanta! :)

18. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like Las Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan(Logan Heights) but it's been ages since I was there. Parking is a pain.

Re: Fish Tacos. Way back when Rubio's was in the old Der Wienerschnitzel building on Mission Boulevard their fish tacos were fantastic. Really, really good. Now that Rubio's is a chain, they're OK. Better than other places, but a bit more institutional than they were back in the old days. That said, in my experience, Rubio's restaurants are always clean, the staff is friendly, and the food is freshly cooked to order.

rwoman likes this.
  19. foady

foady Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone who ventures into North County, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend Diego's Place in Escondido. Did I mention strongly? Let me add another one. Strongly.

20. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a fan of Salazar's at 15th and Market. The place looks sketchy outside and is a dive inside, but the food is quality old school Mexican. Carne Asada is my fave...