San Diego Gay Couple allege United Airlines agent in Denver was disrespectful

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.examiner.com/airlines-ai...nited-airlines-agent-denver-was-disrespectful

Michael Harbron and Billy Canu, a gay couple from San Diego, CA claim that a United Airlines (UA) customer service manager at Denver International Airport (DEN) responded to them in a condescending and disrespectful, manner in an incident which allegedly escalated into name calling and bullying on Saturday, November 26, 2011.
    The exchange took place near United’s Gold Lounge on Concourse B between the two men and Rodney Hill, a United manager, in which Mr. Canu and his partner allege they were threatened with being bumped from their flight back to San Diego, and removed from the airport, in accounts published on Monday, November 28, 2011 by KGTV 10News, the San Diego LGBT Weekly, the Business Insider, The Advocate, the Daily Mail, and other media sources.

Continue reading on Examiner.com San Diego gay couple allege United Airlines agent in Denver was disrespectful - National Airlines/Airport | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/airlines-airport-in-national/san-diego-gay-couple-allege-united-airlines-agent-denver-was-disrespectful#ixzz1fBuFoXcc

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something is very fishy. Either these guys are saboteurs working for AA/US/DL trying to damage the reputation of UA :-P, or my man Randy and his coworkers are clearly not interested in their jobs as long term positions.

This is going to be difficult if not impossible to put to bed but I think we're probably not seeing the whole story.

3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What seems fishy? Very believeable to me except that usually this sort of thing is much less overt. Been there, had that experience. :(

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    as usual :oops: C'est la vie.

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately that's all-too-common but I really doubt that a person who has any interest in continuing their employment with the World's Leading Airline ;) would be so vocal about their feelings (albeit bigoted), especially unprovoked.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are definitely not seeing the whole story here. You don't get treated that rudely just because you ask to enter a lounge.

But here's what I want to know: what is a "Gold Club" anyway? That's not an actual thing, AFAIK. In his interview with LGBT weekly, he repeatedly states that he is a "Gold Club member". He also states that someone told him there are multiple membership levels and that he didn't qualify for that lounge. I have no idea what this is supposed to be.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D Damn, I was hoping someone here could tell us about this super secret club!

Freddie Listo likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe http://www.yelp.com/biz/gold-club-san-francisco

Then again, looking at the nitty gritty details... unlikely ;)

mowogo likes this.
  9. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sigh... I just love how the f***t word is still fit to print, but had they called the guy the N word, that would not even think about printing it. When people will begin to get that those two words are similarly insulting?

Who knows what really happened, but I don't care how belligerent a person gets, if you are in costumer service, you should never let a-holes get to you. If he did exchange words with those two guys, that's unfortunate.

All he had to say was, sorry you cannot come in, I didn't create the rules, but I cannot lose my job for failing to enforce them. If they still aren't happy, offer to call a supervisor and let them handle it. If they get belligerent, call the police, but don't say anything stupid.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Gold Club is where all the NRSAs congregate and swap stories about annoying customers and other airline NRSAs... So I guess the Couple must have been misinformed and was actually looking for the Star Gold Sign at the United Club of course...

Now what the Agent allegedly said would have been inappropriate, maybe UA will send them both a $250 E-Cert who knows because it's an "alleged" statement made by angry people...

11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like that United's media statement was the exact same word-for-word canned response about not tolerating discrimination that I got in an email from them after complaining once about a First Class purser who gave my husband a Hawaii agriculture form in Spanish (he's Indian). She also acted like a total b*tch to him the entire flight and refused to serve him.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably carefully "crafted" by the United legal department and a mandated standard response in situations like this.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A very bizarre article indeed.

The author shows no meaningful understanding of how little it takes to be a mileage plus member, or, if the parties have any status, what that may mean. And references to the "gold lounge" further cast doubt on the rigor used in applying journalistic standards.

I just wonder what the offended passengers reported to the author. Did they make references to a "gold lounge" or suggest that merely being a MP member was of special import?

I'd like to say "something" does not compute, but it is far more than "something".

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My best guess would be they're referring to the Star Alliance Gold Lounge...

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't even need to open the article. The URL (examiner.com) told me everything I needed to know about the journalistic quality of the piece.