San Antonio - Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by luv2travel, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to San Antonio for a conference but not sure whether to stay at the Regency or the Grand. Looks like the Regency is in a prime location and right across from the Alamo. The Grand is a slight walk but still on the end of the riverwalk. I plan on using a suite upgrade and taking advantage of my Diamond benefits.

Anyone have experiences at either of the hotels? What are the differences besides location?

Thanks! ;)

2. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that San Antonio is a big convention city, but which one are you going to? My convention in October has the same 2 Hyatt choices. It would be cool if we were going to the same conference.

BTW, I am currently booked at the Grand Hyatt since they are calling it the "HQ Hotel." If I can convince my wife to switch hotels a couple of times, we might get 3 or 4 stays out of this one trip.

aptraveler likes this.
  3. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest you look into this thread started by rajuabju under the headline GH San Antonio, there is a great review of the Hyatt Regency there with a few postings. Is worth the read.
    Here I am quoting the first post. I hope this helps. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

luv2travel likes this.
  4. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My convention is in November. I originally booked the Grand and then switched to the Regency this week due to the location and being closer to everything. I've had better luck with Hyatt Regencys in the past too...which might have swayed me away from the Grand. Maybe I'll do the same as you and jump to increase my stays!

5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed in the Regency and have a review on my site if you want more info. It was perfectly fine and was in a great location. We used a suite upgrade and got a true two room suite. My husband has stayed in the Grand and it seems to be a bit more modern, but the location isn't quite as good for the Riverwalk (though it certainly isn't far).

6. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing out the review. I'm new to this world (and your blog), but it was very thorough. What are the chances we can get The Man to write a review of the Grand? I'm sure he doesn't have recent photos, but I'd like to know his impressions.

Also, it was good to see The Man letting his hair down at the Irish Pub. He was really calm and collected at the Park Inn Mini-Do, even with a margarita in each hand. (Yes, I know they were for Maximizer and Mrs. Maximizer. :) ) Good to see him relaxing, too.

We are trying to go a day or 2 before my conference, so we might stay at the Regency before to be on the Riverwalk and then move over to the Grand to be closer to the convention center. (And maybe flip 1 or 2 more times if Hyatt runs a FFN promotion to get 4 or 5 stays out of this one trip. The convention travel agents are going to HATE me.)

7. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll see if I can at least get him to share some thoughts here. ;) I doubt we will be lucky enough to see a FFN promo return in the near future, but always possible there will an incentive to hotel hop!

8. theMan

theMan Active Member

Status Points:
    jkchan83 - Perhaps I should grow my hair out in order to let it down more frequently? ;) The Grand Hyatt is preferable for me if I have a business stay. Very clean and quiet, easier access for valet/parking if I have early morning meetings, and the staff that I encountered was superlative. I cannot comment on the dining experience, as my most recent stay didn't include time for a meal, but the coffee shop had a perfect collection of stuffed animals to chose from for Little C. It also had surprisingly fresh bananas. The room configuration was interesting with a long hallway that led to the bathroom and bedroom, but this was a corner junior suite, so the windows were the point of emphasis. Sorry that I don't have any pictures. I'll remember to snap a few the next time I stay, so that I can post if possible. Sorry that I haven't read the rest of this thread, but MP asked me to jump on and give a moment before my next call. Assuming you're going for business, Grand all the way. If you're going to enjoy San Antonio, the Regency's location and river walk tributary cannot be beat. Cheers!

mommypoints and jkchan83 like this.
  9. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Man, Thanks for the time. It was great meeting you and Little C on Saturday. As a brother in the crew cut fraternity, I thought you might like that play on words. Based on your review and Mommypoints', it looks like I will be at the Grand for business. Maybe spend a night or 2 at the Regency while we are enjoying San Antonio before the conference. Thanks again!