Same name different product or what you learn by traveling :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in, I think, in Indonesia and there was a communication problem. I ordered coffee and "artificial sugar", that didn't work so I tried "make believe sugar"(no calorie was a no go). I tried "equal" and was met was a happy nod.

I was then delivered a coffe and a bottle of water. Being a bit puzzled I looked at the water which was called Equil!

Years ago on my first trip to Spain I learned that a tortilla isn't what I expected ;) What are your surprises?

MissBurrill, cennas, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Germany, if you mispronounce the word for sole, the fish, you get a white wine spritzer. This happened in a big group dinner, where one person only received a drink.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Helps to point at the item on the menu when there's any doubt about the correct pronunciation. :)

rwoman likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do this when I suspect that the waiter or waitress doesn't know the correct pronunciation, for instance when ordering French wine in most restaurants in the USA.

estnet, rwoman, effseeoh and 2 others like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any problems with "I'd like a glass of your red HOUSE wine, please." (though usually I designate myself as the driver and have water or Diet Coke)

rwoman and autolycus like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never order house wine without first finding out what it is, just as I want to see the bottle to know what wine is being served on a plane.

Scottrick and rwoman like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think in my case 90% of the "house wine" ordering is in France or Italy. Sometimes at a local pizza joint. But quite honestly, I don't know enough about wine to make a reasonable choice from an extensive wine list other than based on criteria such as price and type of wine. The names typically mean nothing to me. Well, okay, cheap "Beringer" is synonymous with "better not order that one".

rharrigill and rwoman like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's somewhat different in France. If there is a house wine, a good restaurant will have a quite nice one; the same applies in the lobby or bar of a good hotel. However, there's an old custom that usually the second to cheapest bottle of wine on the wine list will be an especially good value, although away from Paris it's more likely to be local than for example the second label of an established vineyard.

kyunbit and rwoman like this.
  9. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you speak italian, try asking for pistacchi or a calzone in the UK or USA. Always fun :)

rwoman likes this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

The famous brand for 'artificial sugar' in Indonesia is called Tropicana/Tropicana Slim (a local brand I think). But the Equal/Equil mistake is very funny!

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm more concerned that I don't know the correct pronunciation. Not that I'm embarrassed or anything, but if I say it wrong, then they might not bring the right item.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite is hearing staff in Oxbridge colleges pronounce the French white wine as che-BLISS. It took me a few minutes to figure out that they meant Chablis.

Scottrick likes this.