Same day standby on Jetstar/Quantas?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by JWHPN, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is Qantas/Jetstars' standby policy?

My wife and I are going on vacation to Australia/NZ. I needed a connecting hop between SYD to Queenstown to finish things up.
    I just put two tickets on hold using AA miles that have us going from SYD to ZQN via an overnight stop in WLG on Qantas/Jetstar.

Right now,Jetstar ALSO has a direct flight from SYD to ZQN leaving at almost the same time as my connecting flight. That flight has no award availability, and is under a JQ flight code.

Any advice how to approach getting on the direct flight without having to shell out a ton of cash would be greatly appreciated.

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Jetstar offers all day, every day, low fares so ’Standby’ ’Mystery Flights’ or ’Compassionate’ fares are not offered."
    http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-and-booking/fares/our-fares

Qantas standby fares
    Question

Does Qantas offer Standby fares?

Answer

Qantas does not offer standby fares.

https://qantas.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/406

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slim to no chance. JQ treats itself as a separate airline from Qantas (when it suits) and will not carry you on the direct unless your existing ticket is reissued by AA.

An alternative is to just book a paid ticket on NZ or QF or JQ for SYD-ZQN nonstop. Depending on when you travel fares can be low (obviously not for mid-late winter or midsummer)

JWHPN likes this.
  4. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the info and suggestions! Unfortunately, I'm going in the middle of high season, mid February and I really don't want to shell out $1000 cash to get 2 economy tickets. I'll probably just adjust my travel plans so that I leave a night earlier to deal with the connection. I love Sydney, but I want to maximize my time in New Zealand.

I'm doing 90% of this trip on points, so I expected this to be difficult. I'll probably create my first ever trip report when I'm done, so that others can learn from my experiences.

Thank you again for the advice.

Mikus33 likes this.