Same Day flight change

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Dec 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

  1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

    Canadi>n Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,956
    Likes Received:
    1,617
    Status Points:
    1,120
    Trying to be proactive and need some guidance from UA experts.

    I’ve got a flight via EWR tomorrow afternoon (ex-YYZ) but it looks like the weather is going to be pretty bad up the US east coast and my onward domestic flight to TPA may get missed and rerouting would be difficult that late in the day. I see space available on flights via ORD to TPA. My plan is to do a Same Day Change after midnight, calling in to move from a EWR connection to an ORD one. Should I still check in for my EWR flight this afternoon or hold off until I get confirmed on the new flights via ORD?

    Used an RPU so might lose my upgrades, though ExpertFlyer shows F still open on both flights so UA appears to be holding back on confirming CPUs.
     
  2. genemk2

    genemk2 Gold Member

    Messages:
    5,831
    Likes Received:
    14,598
    Status Points:
    11,070
    You can check in and still SDC later.
     
    Newscience likes this.
  3. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

    Steve GadFly Gold Member

    Messages:
    6,415
    Likes Received:
    18,161
    Status Points:
    11,795
    You don't have to wait until midnight. As long as you're within 24 hours of both your original flight and the one you want to change to, you can try to call it in. Also, with the weather showing signs of deteriorating, a waiver may go into effect which would negate the need to wait for the 24 hour window.
     
  4. webdes03

    webdes03 Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,267
    Likes Received:
    2,298
    Status Points:
    1,225
    What Steve said. I was going to say that if the wx looks bad, they may waive it and move you anyway (pre waiver). Not guaranteed, but if someone is feeling friendly and they've already been briefed on the weather, it may be in your best interest to not wait. If/when the waiver goes into affect things will shift around quick.
     
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

    Canadi>n Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,956
    Likes Received:
    1,617
    Status Points:
    1,120
    Thanks, have been checking for a weather waiver but none posted yet. But good to know it's actually within 24-hours of the initial flight segment, not "same day" per se.
     
  6. FortFun
    Original Member

    FortFun Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    5,715
    Status Points:
    4,070
    Just for extra clarity: has to be within 24h of both your initial segment and the one to which you want to change. So if you have a 9 am flight and want to change to one at 10:15 am you can't do it until 10:15 am the day before.
     
    Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

    Canadi>n Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,956
    Likes Received:
    1,617
    Status Points:
    1,120
    Weather waiver for EWR went up about a half hour ago so called in and got rerouted via ORD. Both new flights showed F2/3 respectively but R0. However, agent was able to confirm me in F on both so all's well. Checked in with boarding passes. Thanks again for the guidance.
     
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

    Canadi>n Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,956
    Likes Received:
    1,617
    Status Points:
    1,120
    Original YYZ-EWR flight ended up being cancelled due to weather. My YYZ-ORD flight had a mechanical issue and departed about 100 minutes late (UA claims on its site the delay was 85 minutes) but had a 3-hour connection so ended up in TPA, albeit the ORD-TPA flight also had a mechanical issue delaying it a half hour. Today all flights departed 5-10 minutes early, arrived about half hour early! Oh wall, got my 1K for another year, and last night's hotel got me my SPG Platinum again. Lots of reading got done, podcasts all caught up with!
     

Share This Page