Same Day Confirmed

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by AMPfromBNA, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone!

I am a new GM and am excited to use the SDC benefit. With a few well-planned SDC, I will easily hit PM by year's end; Not to mention having already paid the $50 change fee twice earlier this year.

However, after reading Delta's rules I have a few questions. I've tried looking around the MilePoint and other boards, but cannot seem to find any comprehensive discussions.

As I understand it, you can change to any flight on the same day, if that flight has seats available, 3 hours (firm guideline) prior to your new desired flight (not the old flight). So now here come the questions:

Is SDC limited to the same calendar day, or is it a 24 hour period? If I was booked on a 6am flight, can I alternatively depart 8pm the night before, assuming the other conditions are met?

Can I SDC to a different flight while in transit? For example, lets say I was traveling MCO-ATL-LAX. After completing MCO-ATL, can I then SDC to ATL-SLC-LAX? If yes, would having checked a bag change the answer to no?

What about long layovers? If my first SDC flight is within the 3 hour window, but I want a connection 10 hours later, is that allowed? Does a second leg need to be within the 3 hour window, or a similar window?

Can I SDC to a different flight after checking in online from home?

I have tested the "change flight" option from the DL kiosks, and often see no available options displayed, yet ExpertFlyer.com does show some options. Am I better off always calling the medallion support line?

Are there any other secrets that help with SDCs, or unforeseen hurdles? Other thoughts/comments?

Thank you in advance!

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!!

I'll cover most of your questions.
    1. The best option is to always call in.
    2. I've seen some flexibility on the 3 hour if it is close, but "Same Day" means that calendar day, not within 24 hours.
    3. You can change routing along the way, but I am unsure if you have bags (I very rarely checked bags). I believe you can do it, but you must voluntarily seperate from your bag.
    4. You can SDC after you check in. You just need to call in to do it.
    5. The kiosks seem to not show all availability at times. Calling in is the best.

The best bet is to call in when you want to SDC and ask them if you can do the routing that you want to do using the SDC.

Davescj likes this.
  3. SunAlsoRisesMSP

SunAlsoRisesMSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other thing to remember about SDC is that it must be from the same airport. I ran into a situation where there was limited availability going from SNA-MSP but the LAX flights were wide open and DL wouldn't allow me to change airports -- luckily a supervisor on the PM line made the SDC change outside of the 3 hour window for me from SNA and I was able to sneak onto an afternoon flight home.

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - one exception can be IROPS...for example, when my sister (FO) was scheduled LGW-ATL-LAX in early May 2010, ash from Iceland's volcano that made for travel insanity delayed her flight from leaving LGW and a longer flight path meant she'd miss her connection to LAX. I was on the phone with DL on her behalf and they put her on the ATL-ONT flight...she ended up with the u/g to F and was happy on the way home the next morning.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't DMs SDC to/from co-terminal airports?

I've been told that you cannot SDC if you've already checked luggage, although a few places might be willing to find the bag and retag it if there's lots of time.

If you SDC using different connecting airports, or by adding/subtracting a connection, the new routing must be valid for your fare rules. Usually this means that if you have a broken fare, you cannot change to a different connection. Also, all segments must be available for SDC; you cannot fly confirmed into a connecting airport and hope to get on the next leg as a standby.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I've also found flexibility for non co-terminal airports if you get into a bind, but I believe they are a little more flexible with DM's.

7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, hate to hijack OPs thread but I am having trouble wrapping my head around SDC.
    This is my scenario. Almost all the flights out of my home airport (AVL) go to ATL for a connection. I need to book an upcoming trip to TPA so going to DLs booking the flights are all AVL-ATL-TPA then reverse on return. If I attempt a multi-city booking the price goes up at least $150 then has me going AVL-ATL-LGA-ATL-TPA. I tried this for a couple other cities and basically get similar things. Now my understanding is I could book the AVL-ATL-TPA then SDC for $50 but how do I find this new route? Can someone point me to a SDC primer that really gives examples or dumbs it down?

8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    It goes back to the "legal for your fare rules". It would be pretty hard to imagine connecting through ATL 2X would be valid, on top of that, AVL does not have any direct flights to LGA. Your better option would probably be AVL-DTW/MEM/CVG-ATL-TPA, but AVL is probably the problem as it doesn't have many flights. CLT or TYS may give you more options on the fair rules. Then again, I see CLT-MEM-TPA RT for $250 (11/12-11/16) which is 2300 miles RT.

Check this thread for more help: Link

9. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to USAF_Pride for his comprehensive response to my original questions! I am glad to see so many other people joining the conversation. SDC is clearly a huge benefit, and with a little discussion, hopefully we can all use this better.

Let me add some more info to the thread, based on my recent trip. I was scheduled to fly BNA-ATL-ABQ, which I had changed to BNA-MSP-SLC-ABQ. I have family in SLC and was hoping to meet them for lunch. I had no problem changing the flight, even though I requested a late SLC-ABQ leg (6 hour layover), skipping an earlier option.

An interesting note... I checked in online from home. When I called to SDC, they had to completely reticket the trip to match my SDC. This changed the original ticket number and the trip was reissued.

Thanks to all who responded!

USAF_Pride likes this.
  10. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The two things I find to be key to SDC:

baggage (better not to have any, or at least not tagged yet)
    call in (DL customer service is good about this)

BUT, if you are at the airport early usually the check in agent will do the SDC for you as well (or if there is a line there, SC will do it too).

Dave

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

12. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So to clarify things....
    1. In order to change my itinerary I would need a refundable ticket.
    2. Final destination is not changeable with SDC even if it is shorter? (ex . change from CLT to AVL after a connection in ATL.)
    3. SDC is best utilized for earlier or later departure, and changing the connection to add mileage.

Thanks in advance!

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. No, it can be a non-refundable ticket (if we are talking SDC).
    2. Correct. Only co-terminal airports are allowed (think JFK, LGA, EWR) and only for DM (I believe)
    3. The easiest way, and probably the most common way to use it, is for an earlier departure as I believe that Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame) shows up whenever I SDC to a later flight (IROP). One reason is to get additional mileage, but I would think most use it to just get home early

Davescj and traveller99 like this.
  14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    SDC for co-terminals is only available to Diamonds and must be co-terminals specified in the routing rules. EWR/LGA/JFK (and I think HPN and SWF are included), ORD/MDW, LAX/LGB/SNA, etc. etc.

-Rob