Same day change / standby question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by canucklehead, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA flyer here who will be on a few AA flights and I had a question re: SDC or standby question that i hope I can get answered.

I have some upcoming flights in business class (fare code I) and was wondering if AA permits SDC or standby for a different flights on the same day?

I assume there is no fee, but do I call 24 hours before my flight and is it a confirmed change if the fare code is available or an airport standby?

If standby, does an I fare trump someone using 500-mile certs (I have no status on AA but am considering a status match)?

TIA for any help!

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Confirmed requires a $75 fee, even for elites. All other standby is airport standby, and typically only airport staff can add you to the standby list (its been a rare occasion when I get phone agents, even the exp desk, to do it).

Ill let someone who knows more about how standing by for I works if J is or isn't available give you that answer. My experience is that standby passengers are cleared after the upgrade list is processed, so you'd be behind of everyone using certs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

canucklehead likes this.
  3. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can call AA for the same day standby options for that flight and for $75 bucks i believe (i think thats what i have paid) get changed to a diff flight time as long as that fare bucket is around the seat is yours. You can also do standby if u want to for no charge or if the sdc fare bucket doesn't exist. Not having status and depending on the flight city pairs or time of day will make standby hard for a non elite. Id pay the money if i were u.

As for biz and 500 mile upgrades, since you are on a paid biz class fare you would grab the seat before someone using upgrades since they come from different fare buckets and revenues, but you would only trump if that seat fare bucket existed for sale or they could up charge you for a different biz fare bucket for your original ticket. I would check out how many business class seats exist before you change to see your options.

canucklehead likes this.