Same day change on Mar 3 - crazy?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by thegrailer, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am flying on Mar 3. All UA metal BWI-DEN-TUS. The timing isn't all that great. There is plenty of room [at least according to .bomb's info] on an early BWI-DEN-TUS routing and a better, ie, more miles, BWI-DEN-LAX-TUS routing. Am I crazy to try for a same day change on Mar 3? I believe I can book the earlier same routing online/via telephone and the longer routing at the airport. Alternatively, I could be completely off since I don't know which change rules would apply? Generally, the within 3 hour UA rule or the CO 24 hour rule? I must have missed the thread/email/announcement where it states which policy survives. Thoughts? Suggestions on the best way to do this???

Cheers -

2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think getting the extra connect in LA isn't going to work reguardless of which change rules as they are same routing only no? Thought you could only change airports if it was something generalized like NYC or direct.

thegrailer likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that they will reassess the cost if the itinerary is not the same as the original...They once did that and I wound up with a lower price that even covered the change fee ;)

thegrailer likes this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From .bomb. It appears that I can change connection points - does that mean an additional stop is ok? And I'd still like to find out if these are the rules going forward since I am flying after/on the Borg assimilation date.

Cheers all
    http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html

Confirmed same-day travel changes
    On the same day of travel as your scheduled itinerary, if eligible seats are available, you can confirm a seat on an alternate United® or Continental® flight departing within three hours of the time of your request. Confirmed same-day changes involving only United flights may be completed online, by phone through United Reservations or at the airport. Confirmed same-day changes that switch from a United flight to a Continental flight may only be completed at the airport. A fee may apply in each direction of travel, as follows:

Mileage Plus® or OnePass® program status
    the fee for a confirmed same-day travel change is…

• Global ServicesSM
    • 1K®
    • OnePass Platinum
    • Premier Executive®
    • OnePass Gold
    • Companions traveling on the same reservation as an elite member at one of the above levels
    $0
    • Premier®
    • OnePass Silver
    • General members
    $75*
    Important notes:
    • Confirmed same-day travel changes are available only for flights that are wholly within the United States.
    • Available only for identical routings (same origin, destination and connection city, if applicable). You may change your connection city only if requesting the change at the airport.
    • Alternate flights must be scheduled to depart within three hours of your request. For United flights departing more than three hours after your request, or if changing to a flight that departs later than your originally scheduled flight, the standard change fee policy will apply.
    • The confirmed same-day travel change fee is nonrefundable and will be collected at the time when the change request is made.

NYCUA1K and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    • Available only for identical routings (same origin, destination and connection city, if applicable). You may change your connection city only if requesting the change at the airport.
    That is what I was referring to. My understanding was that if the routing is identical, then no fee will be assessed, otherwise one will be. Am I understanding this correctly? Or is the main difference the fact that no fee will be assessed if the request is made within 3 hours of the new departure?

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've actually never tried a same day change so I have no clue?????
    My interpretation/best guess:
    I read no charge for the same routing so the earlier BWI-DEN-TUS would work. I also read that if I want to change connections, then I can do that too but I have to do it at the airport, e.g, BWI-IAH-TUS. What I don't know are the limitations on the phrase "may change your connection city." If there was a direct BWI-TUS could I take that flight? Or the added LAX connection I mentioned above? And any of these must be within the 3hr window - assuming that is the rule on Mar 3.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA somewhat recently started to allow change of routing at the airport as part of the SDC policy if the request is made at the airport; no additional fee there. On top of that, it is my impression that the sCO policy will be in effect once the systems are merged and that means the routing can change so long as the new routing requested is valid under the original fare rules.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you

9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is difficult to draft from my phone but I'll do the best that I can. SDC this morning at BWI. Route change ok as long as the start and end are the same. No idea if that is a new rule or just what the supervisor was telling the former CO agent when she asked about the change. No info on whose policy is in place going forward CO's or UA's re 3 hours before the flight or the CO 24 hour window. I asked and the answer was we don't know. Also, the agent wanted to charge me for the SDC. I mentioned that I was a 1K. The agent asked a superior and he said no.charge.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider has stated elsewhere that the legacy CO policy will be what survives.