Sales restrictions - tickets must be issued by...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ukaahopeful, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ukaahopeful

ukaahopeful Active Member

Status Points:
    I need to book LHR-SFO-LHR for the middle of next month and am getting economy prices of around £520. Looking at the fare rules I see that I have to book by tomorrow. Is there a way for me to know what will happen to the fare after that time? In other words, can I wait a bit (plans are not yet finalised).

Also, the direct route uses BA planes - is there any way yet to get seating choice with a codeshare? And do I lose out on anything else with the codeshare (should I go on AA metal with stops)? I have AAdvantage Platinum.
    Sales restrictions

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 19DEC 12 AND ON/BEFORE
    22JAN 13

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at the same flights for say a week before?

DTWBOB

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Hi DTWBOB,

Yes - it's the booking period that concerns me. I can book the flights today for any days at the same price. I just don't know what happens when it goes past the must be issued by date in the fare rule...

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the flights you are looking at book into 'O' class, on a ticket that needs issued by tomorrow. What will happen thereafter is anyone's guess, but assuming they pull the fare and don't replace it with a different priced 'O' fare (which they might do), you'd be looking at a higher fare bucket. The next one up on BA (N) which doesn't expire tomorrow is currently pricing at 686 GBP for most of those dates, so if you want to stay on the non stop, that's probably the cost you would be looking at from tomorrow. If a cheaper fare gets loaded, you get lucky :).

As for going on AA with stops a) it depends on the pricing b) it depends if you want to try and fly to JFK and then use stickets to upgrade the transcontinental flights and c) how much time you have on your hands. I'm AA platinum, and I would personally take the AA connection as long as it was less than 3 hours.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Unless AA files another Fare, the lowest Fares on that route will then be in N Class, so the prices will go up by $270 USD:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.3/Diamond - Galileo: Fares/PSH/RU]
    Code:
    LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY QQS QQW ZLS ZEP XQE
    SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
    R/T  15 Feb 2013 | All

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  --------------------------
    AA         LON     SFO       234   USD     7 Days  Sun  360  OLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       299   USD     7 Days  Sun  360  OLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       299   USD        ***  Sun  360  QLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       363   USD        ***  Sun  360  QLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       504   USD        ***  Sun  360  NLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       569   USD        ***  Sun  360  NLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       569   USD        ***  Sun  360  SLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       634   USD        ***  Sun  360  SLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       650   USD        ***  Sun  360  VLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       715   USD        ***  Sun  360  VLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       740   USD        ***  Sun  360  LLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       804   USD        ***  Sun  360  LLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       829   USD        ***  Sun  360  MLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       894   USD        ***  Sun  360  MLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       923   USD        ***  Sun  360  KLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO       988   USD        ***  Sun  360  KLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      1025   USD        ***  Sun  360  HLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      1090   USD        ***  Sun  360  HLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      1132   USD        ***  Sun  360  BLXUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      1197   USD        ***  Sun  360  BLWUKJB      25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      2546   USD        ***            H2           25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      2715   USD        ***       360  Y1UKJB       25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      3033   USD        ***            B2           25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      3408   USD    28 Days  Sun   42  I4UKJB       25 Dec-24 Mar
    AA         LON     SFO      3802   USD        ***       360  Y1JB         25 Dec-24 Mar

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. BStrauss3

BStrauss3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is literally no way to know - each airline makes several hundred (thousand) fare changes every day, seeking to optimize yield.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the tips. It's confusing! On looking around I also found the 'sale' fare had terms and conditions which excluded it from earning any miles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Excluded from earning miles on AA or BA? Do you have the wording on that? That would be a first and I suspect it's being misinterpreted.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    I wish I had. I am certain that I read it but can't remember where - and of course can't find it now. I later saw it contradicted though, so stopped being too concerned.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Well, I booked - and checked the fares the next day, which seemed to be the same!

It was really hard to do this route LHR-SFO-LHR on AA metal (impossible actually for the return after 3pm). All this codeshare stuff is great in theory but it's not exactly as joined up as they make it sound in the blurb. Ah well.

11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that book by tomorrow thing is there more for travel agencies than for individuals. For individuals, the fare displayed is really only good for that instant. The fare can change instantly in response to supply and demand. Must be ticketed by tomorrow doesn't mean that fare will still be available tomorrow. Or as you noticed, it also doesn't necessarily mean it won't be available after tomorrow.

TAs can lock in a fare for 24 hours or more sometimes and not ticket until they get around to it. The 24 hour restriction forces them to ticket it by the next day.

-David