Safeway/Vons $10 back on Variable Loads is back... this time with Mastercards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't seen the notice, Safeway/VONs is running a promo where if you buy $100 + in Mastercard Gift Cards at the checkout you will get a $10 off Safeway coupon. Worked for me yesterday at Safeway on variable-load $500 US Bank Mastercards which I assigned PINs by phone this morning and intend to unload via Walmart ATM today it things work out. Previous reports are that these particular Mastercards work with Bluebird, though I don't have personal experience with them (all my previous stuff has been Vanilla or Chase).

If its like last month (VISA) then the $10 coupon only works if you spend at least $25, and only one per order. So this will only work for you if you're going to spend that much at Safeway or can pre-purchase some goods at $25 a pop. Anyway, an easy way to hit your $5k cap on Bluebird for the month without having to outlay a lot of cash. Even better if you have a card that gives you a multiplier at grocery stores of course (Amex PRG, Amex Blue Cash, Hilton HHonors Surpass...). You'll even make a small profit on the deal, though I wouldn't look at it that way given the effort/gas/time required.

You may want to: a) use a different credit card for each transaction, b) buy one card per transaction, c) add some random things to the order to avoid the charges always being for $505.95, etc.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay the reload worked. Of course you have to find a working Walmart ATM machine, and good luck with that. Unlike with the Vanilla cards which have always worked with a teller willing to let me try them, the US Bank MC did NOT work and instead popped up a signature panel. May have been operator error I suppose. Anyway, at a Walmart ATM the cards worked fine.

BTW at the first Walmart where the ATM wasn't working, several people were waiting so the person at the counter next to us came over and rebooted it, but it got some kind of error coming up (text spewed on the screen after the Windows logo) and the person said somebody would have to come around to fix it. Also mentioned that they were thinking of decomisioning it because a "lot of people were using Vanilla Gift Cards" with it. Interesting data point...

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    VONS' Just for You ongoing promotions is having the following deal:

gconnery and uggboy like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so if you can't find the PayPower $0 fee Reloadable VISA at your VONS/Safeway you may be able to buy NetSpend VISA's for $0.99 fee each. Assuming you can find a teller that will let you pay for it with a credit card. I assume that in both cases you should load it up to the maximum the card/the store will allow and then unload it to Bluebird immediately rather than using it for any other purpose to avoid paying any of their likely fees (did not research this).

Kalboz likes this.