Safety is global: New in-flight safety video

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jul 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:

Some bits are cute (I'm a fan of the origami scene) but others are a miss IMO. What do you think?

2. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Origami was cute as well as Hawaii. Rest was rather drab. I wonder why they had everyone speak like it was their first time speaking English?

uggboy and gaijin62 like this.
  3. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    No joke, I started dozing.
    As a frequent flyer, I think I know the safety brief in my sleep and I've demonstrated (either simulated or in real life) my ability to perform some if not all of the emergent tasks required.
    So, thanks UA for helping to put me to sleep even before the captain throws matches in both engines. I love being able to sleep before takeoff. :D

genemk2 and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess I am easy to please. I liked it. Of course, like any safety video it will be boring when you've seen it a dozen times.

5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    the bond scene got me.

6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My two hockey pucks are that other than mama kangaroo being concerned about "removing the pouch" ;) and not having FLIBS in the video*, it's simply awful

*now I don't have anything to hiss at (unless he's still in the pre-safety video ad [which imho, should not be part of a safety video but I digress[)

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're referring to Smisek, he was in the welcome video when I saw the new safety video on my DEN-IAD flight last Friday.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, and never in the safety video.

Newscience and ssullivan like this.
  9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I praise Jeff for the safety video -- it is a significant improvement over anything United (including the former Continental) has shown in the past ten years. I especially like the skillful use of humor. United's video producer had a tougher challenge than Delta in this regard -- United culture is unapologetic in its staid, businesslike orientation, so any attempt to more closely mimic DL/NZ/WN-style humor would be poorly received, and slightly disconcerting. A good selection of eye candy, too. :cool:

10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also enjoyed seeing the new United safety video. Thanks for sharing, Wandering Aramean! Of course, I also enjoyed the United video shown during the winter Olympics. Very nicely done!

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little too had to relate to the airplane context in some parts of the video but overall a great effort.
    Should be able to get the passengers attention (at least for the 1st few times viewing it).

Thanks for sharing.

Newscience, uggboy and gaijin62 like this.
  12. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone really has a sense of humor.

At 4:15 of the video, behind the female flight attendant, the neon lights behind her appear very similar to appear almost like the "U of the iconic former "Tulip" logo.

[but not in United colors]

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  13. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an interesting safety video.
    I noticed at about 1:34 there is a sign in the background for "Elbow Room 2". I am guessing this is meant ironically, as there is little in the way of elbow room in the economy classes of United planes.:D
    united.jpg

Olton Hall, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  14. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like it, and thanks for sharing:) I think it's a breathe of fresh air, that is an extension from what Delta has been doing. There are some scenes that may be a bit of a stretch (like turning off your device at the zoo, or the last scene on the beach).

But perhaps it's like having saltier/more flavored food in the air to fit our blander taste buds while flying, this types of safety video will add to the flying experience. :)

Newscience and gaijin62 like this.
  15. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm saving myself. Since I will have to see this 2-8 times a week more or less I want to pop my cherry on an actual flight. If I watch it now it will take away the enjoyment I will have next Tuesday when I'm back on a UA plane. By Wednesday of next week I will be utterly bored of it and blasting my podcast through my headphones again to drown out the noise :)

-Rob

KenInEscazu likes this.
  16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may not see it right away. I've seen it on one flight so far. I don't know when they started loading it into the IFE systems, but in the past week I've been on four mainline UA flights with video systems, and only one (a 777) had it. Based on a report from another poster, he saw it on another widebody aircraft about two weeks ago. Going back to July 1, I've had six mainline UA flights, three of which were on widebody aircraft (747, 764, and 777) and only one had it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked the bond scene and thought the kangaroos were cute as well. ;)

gaijin62 likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is loading into systems now and expected to be fleet-wide on or about 1 August 2014.

gaijin62 likes this.
  19. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't on my DirecTV 738 today.

20. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Initially, I listened to it, but didn't watch - which is typically how I'll experience it. It seemed very direct and easy to understand. Like a lot of the evolution of these things, it seems like an effort was made to pare down extra words and make the plane safer as a result.

When I watched, I liked it. We can all sit here and play armchair director, but it seems to me that at least United is trying to evolve itself and whether it's aping Delta, or Air New Zealand, at least its something contemporary (I'm looking at you Lufthansa).

21. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I liked the new video - the kangaroo part was cute. Don't know how I'll feel after I've seen it several times, but I already like it better than Delta's.

ssullivan likes this.
  22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just watched it again. I saw it last Friday on a flight, twice, because some monitors weren't working so the crew played it again. However, watching it again now, not on a plane, I've noticed a lot more going on in it than one sees at first glance. There are a lot of cute little running jokes in it, like the dashboard of the taxi cab that has a miniature Eiffel Tower, pink flamingo, and origami crane, all of which play roles in the rest of the video. And, I didn't catch the jokes about the kangaroos and pouches being torn open and removed until this viewing.

That small stuff actually has increased my opinion of it, as I think it makes it get better with repeated viewings.

And I agree about DL's video. They keep refreshing it, but with essentially the same concept. Their video also really drags, with long pauses. I like that this keeps moving, and has Rhapsody in Blue as a unifying background to it, with the nice touch of changing the orchestration regionally based on the scene.

When I first watched this last week, I thought it was cute. Now, after watching it again, I really like it.

I just wish the rest of UA could be as well executed as some of the welcome video content is.

ella and Flyer1976 like this.
  23. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's very creative. I like it, but... I'll be annoyed if I have to watch it more than once a week. Hopefully there's a few clever variations in the pipeline...