"Safe harbor" areas for newbies & others

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by MikeMpls, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    As these forums grow, I would suggest you create subforums or threads that are "safe harbor" areas in the largest forums where only questions & contsructive answers are allowed. Just the facts, ma'am, no telling anyone to do a search, no killing the messenger because it's his first post or doesn't fly XYZ often enough to know any better, etc. -- if you can't actually answer the question, keep mum. New members would be encouraged to start in these areas & maybe even offered a "newbie menu" that would focus on them (but with a link to the comprehensive menu).

The key word here is questions -- posts that are discussions of policy, screwups, news articles, etc., would not belong in the "safe harbor" areas.

In the old place, I would limit this just to the largest forums: AA, DL, UA/CO, US, WN, TS/S.

the_happiness_store likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we actually have some very unique ideas in that area, with concentration on the Q/A format. Some you'll see very shortly as we test some ideas. As for other forums, we really had no way of knowing what type of support we'd get for seeding our initial content so we have purposely left big buckets and have plans on letting the content value decide when it appropriate to divide itself. I personally am looking forward to the concept test we have for Newbie and other Q/A. I'll give you an early peak at one of our concepts:
    http://answers.mint.com/

this style though tweeked just a bit but an excellent deposit for Q/A without direct forum exchange. Anyway, i am enjoying the parallel of the way our early members are thinking and what we have been thinking.

travelingmore and essxjay like this.
  3. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    M
    Mint answers looks good - have you looked at answers.yahoo.com? It's a similsr idea with responses from the community and the option to select the 'best fit' for your question.

4. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I really am feeling like a newbie! When one selects 'watch thread' there are 2 options - with/without email ... if I select without, how will I know if/when new posts are added? Apologies if it's blindingly obvious ...

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Yes, i have audited several of them and we have a few ideas because it is important to be integrated into the forums, not outside them, but we hope to be on to something with adopting Q/A as a quick and easy knowledge building. We are up to the challenge to think outside the box of standard forums.

6. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:

Seems like you have an either/or choice?

No other board I am on advises you of replies if you do not select that option!

5.jpg