Ryanair, Pioneer in Customer Ripoffs, Does it Again

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by jbcarioca, Sep 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Boston Globe today:

Ryanair, one of the pioneers of the low-price-but-fees-for-everything model, has found a way to add insult to injury.
    Starting in November, the only way to avoid an "administrative'' fee of about $9.50 per flight for booking a ticket on Ryanair is to use the Irish airline's own prepaid MasterCard debit card. Since the fee is levied per flight, a round-trip doubles that charge and if you need to make connections you'll pay a fee for each leg.
    For quite some time, Ryanair has been charging passengers who fail to pay for tickets with a prepaid Mastercard an administrative fee. But now the carrier will hit up travelers if they use any other kind of plastic than the Ryanair-branded card, which they call a Cash Passport.
    Annoying, yes? Americans might look at this and just shrug their shoulders but Ryanair has been at the forefront of fee creation and many of the levies it has created have been adopted by US carriers.
    The special cards will be sold on the airline's website for about $9.50, but the airline is offering to reimburse customers for that amount with -- you guessed it -- a Ryanair travel voucher. The prepaid card can be used for other purchases, but users will face a charge of about 80 cents for each such transaction, and the carrier will get a cut of that, according toAOL Travel.
    British regulators are looking at whether businesses should be able to charge fees for credit card use. So stay tuned.

zpaul and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't understand why people put up with all this. Sure, some of their fares may be cheap, if you can meet all the assorted conditions that help you avoid fees, but at some point it just becomes too much of a hassle. I was thinking I'd one day fly a short trip on RyanAir just to experience their way of travel, bu I think I just gave up on that plan. May just have to do a Spirit joy ride. Or Allegiant.

zpaul, mht_flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to try Ryanair once but I did not have the patience so i took BA instead. At least then I knew the price in advance, and I had an assigned seat.

zpaul, mht_flyer and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much more cheaper can they get..... I wonder how it's like working at their HQ. Bring your own toilet paper, pens, paper, etc. :(

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me of other airlines that have an optional credit card charge or ticket service charge with very few ways to opt out!

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very frequent travelers would never choose RyanAir, however kettles like it and RyanAir make tons of money so I doubt RyanAir will ever change their policies unless government regulators make them do so.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. this is part of the myth however. Very frequent travellers DO end up using Ryanair when they need to get near secondary airports and it is several hours faster to use Ryanair than any of the competittors. The only good thing about Ryanair (and there is very little good) is that you can now pay 5 EUR/5 GBP for "priority queue" which is actually worth it as you get to arrive at the airport last and board first.

I am a very frequent traveller and end up using the dreaded FR about once a month when I need to get to these secondary airports- I much prefer to depart/return same day and have the crappy ryanair rip off then spend the night at FRA waiting for a connection ;)

zpaul, viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Kettles like them or mere tolerate them (because they are bad at math, maybe?). If you don't fly them often, getting one of their debit cards would seem like a hassle. Presumably they also charge for reloading them?

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows how they work- I am sure there are series of fees all over the place.

People tolerate them because, if you do your homework, they CAN actually be very cheap.

I wouldn't rule them out all togther as an option- but strongly recommend you know what you are getting yourself in for and weigh the benefits and the negatives. Staying away from STN doesn't hurt in my experience either.

10. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of the fun's in beating these charges and actually scoring a cheap flight without too much inconvenience. They aren't too uncomfortable for short jaunts either.

I personally think STN and LGW are both decent airports for facilities (and much better than LHR T4), and there's no lack of buses to central London.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The nonstop LGW train was good but pretty expensive compared to the tube to LHR.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Gatwick Express can be a massive rip off depending where you are headed to in London. The First Capital Connect for example gets to Farringdon in 35 minutes and is less than 9 GBP.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    STN is really convenient for me because I have a client in Milton Keynes and another in Northampton. STN just does not work for me, sadly.

zpaul and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    GRU/STN on FR coming soon to a website near you...

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would beggar the imagination. Luckily I don't transit GRU unless my life depends on it, The only thing worse than FR for me would be FR at GRU:eek:

zpaul and TRAVELSIG like this.
  16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew Ryanair in Ireland as they were the only option. I would rather drive that ever use them.

Everything from the lack of CS and all the charges they levied (incl a check-in fee as my non-EU passport would not allow online check-in), the hard peddling of lotto tickets :eek:, celebrity magazines :confused:, overpriced snacks and refreshments :mad: calendar :oops:. Not to mention everytime they walked by the FA trying to sell stuff kept on bumping me to wake me and ask if I wanted to buy anything......

makes me wonder how soon people will realize that their rock-bottom prices are not that rock-bottom and they epitomize everything consumers hate about flying. I wish for the day they try to charge for using the 'loo which will hopefully drive the last of the thrifty customers away.

can you tell I loathe Ryanair? :p

17. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have an EU passport either and have never had FR levy a special charge for them - what I do is check in online, print my boarding passes (this is the important part!), then do a visa/passport check at the desks at the airports.

Neither have I been woken up for anything except "safety issues", like when I had my earphones plugged in during descent.

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were charging 50 EUR for a while and stopped- not sure why they stopped but there was some press about it...

19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and canucklehead like this.
  20. tiltslope

tiltslope Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, the bigger objection to paying with their prepaid debit card is that you then have no protection if the flight is cancelled, etc. When you pay with a credit card you can do a chargeback, but not with a debit card. To make it worse, the debit card is prepaid and issued by Ryanair so there would be no hope of having the card take your side in a dispute.

It's almost amusing that these debit cards cAn be used to generate even more fees, such as transaction fees, inactivity fees, fees to increase the balance, etc.

22. Sarper

Sarper New Member

Status Points:
    You should their reduced cabin baggage sizes (After I bought the tickets, I read all the terms & condition - first time in my life; simple horrible, even for a small camera bag, or an netbook sleeve.. they are making problem). they seem very strict for this policy (as i see in airports) I've bought my first ticket since wanted to fly to London Stansted and it was good bargain even if I added extra baggage etc. But to tell the truth I'm still kind of nervous, it would be my first flight with them next week. Now I'll go and print boarding passes (2 copies :). Cross fingers!

23. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying away from these guys for a long time. They will charge for every single thing they can & try to sell everything they can for extra cash... Not worth the hassle.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a new low- 6 EUR per person per flight "online checkin fee".

Unbelievable.

25. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    55cm x 40cm x 20cm is quite reasonable. The weight restriction on the other hand... (my rollaboard alone weighs 3kg so you can imagine how little I'm able to pack into it!)

They do have "free online check-in" fares sometimes. (How they're able to charge for this "service" I don't quite understand too - but I remember reading about some lawsuit being brought because there wouldn't otherwise be a way to check-in.)