Ryanair lowers baggage fees

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by MSYgirl, Jan 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Jan 05, 2014
    Ryanair has announced that from Sunday, the 5th of January, it will cut its standard airport bag fees from €60/£60 to €30/£30 at the bag drop desk, and from €60/£60 to €50/£50 at the boarding gate, “bringing Ryanair’s bag fees into line with competitor airline’s standard airport bag fees.”

The airline said that this is the latest customer service improvement from Ryanair and follows:
    · the new Ryanair.com website (17 to 5 clicks to book)
    · 24 hour grace periods (for minor booking errors)
    · “quiet flights” (pre-8am and post-9pm)
    · free small 2nd carry-on bag
    · reduced boarding card reissue and excess bag fees
    · allocated seating on all flights from 1st Feb
    · the launch of “My Ryanair” customer registration service

New business and family products are also being developed, along with a new mobile app, tailored country-specific websites and a mobile-responsive website, as Ryanair continues to improve its industry leading customer service for its 81m passengers, the airline said.

sobore and Newscience like this.
  2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew them several time when I was living in Europe. If you knew how to play the game (print your boarding pass at home, don't check a bag, expect to pay for EVERYTHING while onboard) they were a decent airline. Hey, they got me from A to B safely each time. I am glad to see they are beginning to change. :)

LETTERBOY and MSYgirl like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew them to Italy and did the same things, print BP in advance, only one small carry-on, eat before the flight, etc. They have some ridiculously low fares if you skimp on amenities. I remember being shocked when checking their website whilst in Europe; the places they advertised for 15 pounds each way was shocking.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ryanair lowering fees?!?! Is it April 1 already?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone has a home with a printer in Europe (or at both ends of a RT), or a hotel with a business center or time to hunt for a printer...

Are they planning to offer electronic (mobile phone) boarding passes?

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    One work around on the need to print the BP - many European airports offer Internet kiosks for a pretty minimal fee (1GBP or 1EUR in many cases). Those I know who fly FR and have not been able to print in advance usually use this to get a BP vice being slammed by FR fees.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are plenty of internet cafes in europe that this isn't a problem. Rather pay the internet cafe fee than pay the Ryanair fee to print at the airport.

LETTERBOY and MSYgirl like this.
  8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats the other thing, sometimes you will only pay the taxes (29 Euro) on the ticket (1 Euro). And the fares are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! You do have to be prepared to skimp on anything and everything, but you save money.

MSYgirl likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe RyanAir ends the on-line check-in period a full four hours before the flight. If so, you'd have to be at the airport awfully early to print your boarding pass at a kiosk there.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm only passing on what I know others do...can't attest to the OLCI window.

:)