Ryanair: charges for carry-on baggage 'inevitable'

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by uggboy, Aug 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Ryanair: charges for carry-on baggage 'inevitable' ||

[​IMG]

While I understand to stay profitable is a must, because a healthy airline is eventually a preferable solution for passengers as a whole, but when can the word "profitable" replaced with the word "madness"?

sobore likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, yeah, one more reason I'm flying BA to Dublin this weekend...:eek:

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is a great choice, we mostly intermix them with Aer Lingus. Depends upon timing and which airport in London we want to go.

May I suggest you visit incl. Dublin Castle, Trinity College incl. the book of Kells, Christ Church, St. Patrick's Cathedral, walk Grafton Street, visit St. Stephen's Green Park, one of the largest inner city parks in Europe, on Saturday you may want to visit the Gourmet food market / lots of beautiful handmade food on offer from local producers / at the Meeting House Square in Temple Bar, couple this with a visit / free of charge / to the Gallery of Photography, plus have a look to the General Post Office, walk further up towards Parnell Square and visit the Remembrance Park or the Hugh Lane Gallery, one of Ireland's most important art venues, plus it's all about the 1916 Easter Rising and how Ireland became independent in this part of town.

The Dublin Spire always in sight here @ a height of 120 meters on O'Connell Street, cross the intersection here towards Talbot Street and have a look at the famous James Joyce Statue, alternatively, at the Merrion Hotel, there's also a statue of him in the courtyard. All two are beautiful and most photographed. Speaking of the Merrion Hotel, which as the name suggests beside Merrion Square, here can be found the offices of the Irish Prime Minister, plus the National Gallery of Ireland and a statue of Oscar Wilde who idles in the Merrion Square and looking towards his childhood home on the square.

There's also a fabulous Hop on / Hop off tour [ big red bus ] available in Dublin, which comes highly recommended and offers great commentary and many stops of interest in the Irish Capital, this tour is especially recommended when first time in Dublin.

Last but not least, Enjoy Dublin, Cheers. :)

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Any thoughts on the best way to/from the airport? I'm staying at the Dublin Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While we take mostly the "Airlink" into Dublin, recommended stop College Green, than around 15 minutes walk to the Hilton via Grafton Street towards St. Stephens Green Park, to the Grand Canal, passing the National Concert Hall and the Conrad Hotel on the way, I would suggest in your case to try the "Aircoach" also, we use this service rarely, but they offer many more stops and I believe, just ask the driver, they have a good reputation and stop at all major hotels along the way.

Airlink by Dublin Bus 747:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

The Airlink 747 looks like this:

[​IMG]
    The Dublin International Airport @ Terminal 1 - January 2010 - a stunning day to behold, tavel and so much more beyond!:) Simply be, enjoy!:) by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

Aircoach:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.fares.php

The Aircoach looks like this:

[​IMG]
    The Dublin International Airport @ Terminal 1 - January 2010 - a stunning day to behold, tavel and so much more beyond!:) Simply be, enjoy!:) by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

Alternatively you could also take the Airlink until Trinity College Stop, get out, walk up Grafton Street to St. Stephens Green station and take the "Luas" tram "The Green Line" to "Charlemont" [ the second stop from St. Stephen's Green ] when you get out you will see the Hilton Dublin before you, within 2 minutes you're there.
    http://www.luas.ie/luas-green-line-stops/

See here my photo taken from the "Charlemont Luas Green Line Stop" of the Hilton Dublin: @ Charlemont Place beside the Grand Canal

[​IMG]
    The Hilton Dublin Hotel - upscale, modern, urban, fitting, luxurious and sensual elegant design, fantastic staff too and service...take me to the hilton!:) ENJOY! 02/2010:) by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

And this is how the "Luas Tram" looks like @ Charlemont station:

[​IMG]
    Wonderful Dublin, my love, Ireland, 2010 and so much more...smiles ahead...:) by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

I hope this helps, cheers and Enjoy Dublin. :)

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a good deal?

Freedom Adult €28.00
    • 3 days (72hrs) unlimited travel
    • Valid on Dublin Bus Tour – Hop on Hop off and All Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso, excluding Nitelink.
    • Airlink Express between Dublin Airport, City Centre & Heuston & Connolly Rail Stations
    • All Dublin Bus scheduled services
    • http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/
    :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is, it's very good, when you've 3 days and seeing that Airlink is included, plus Hop on / Hop off, excellent deal, can highly recommend. I believe at the moment, it's the best deal available from Dublin Bus for visitors. :)

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! :)

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But be aware of a possible Dublin Bus strike from this Sunday.

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greeeeat...I guess we'll see what happens....might be sucking up a taxi fare back to the airport on Tuesday. :(

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had the pleasure a few times to get a taxi for various reasons, the fare from Hilton Dublin would be around 30 / 35 E, I guess. Having said this, special offers are available like fixed 20 E fares from some drivers had been offered, even while waiting for the bus. This however is in competition from bus services, and since there's still a strike threat in the air by Dublin Bus, I'm sure that taxi drivers would be maybe reluctant to offers some incentives for their services.

The good news, seeing it in historical terms, Dublin Bus has usually hammered out solutions for passengers and I believe, as many, this will be the case this time around too. However, enjoy Dublin, the Hilton and you maybe report about your experiences back here on MP too.