Ryanair’s ‘visa’ stamp requirement leaves Americans in a rage and out of pocket

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by uggboy, Aug 15, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ryanair’s ‘visa’ stamp requirement leaves Americans in a rage and out of pocket

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Well documented throughout the purchase process and on the BP itself. Really easy to deal with. Sounds like they only checked one bag, using the British passport, so never showed the US ones at the counter and that burned them.

Pizzaman likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I didn't know this was a requirement. Interesting to know and makes sense from a business perspective, though one would think it could be managed better from a customer service perspective.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading the article, it sounds like that especially the customer service perspective could and should be improved in this case.

Pizzaman likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But you've never flown 'em, right? It is pretty obvious on the home-printed boarding pass IME.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I understand, but I don't think I agree. I didn't think we're in violent disagreement, but different customers see this different ways. I have no idea if the BP is the only place this is referenced but I wouldn't think just the BP would be enough IMO.

You have a lot more international travel than I do, but I feel like I've flown quite a bit overseas and on enough airlines, and I've never heard of this requirement. I don't think the requirement itself is onerous. But, I wouldn't consider it "standard" and thus feel there should be more messaging than the average person might think, especially when the cost of additional messaging is likely negligible.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My recollection is that it is mentioned in the OLCI process as well, but I last did that 6 weeks ago and plenty of brain cells have been killed in the interim. I also think it is reasonably obvious on the BP, though I agree that OALs don't have a similar requirement. fr-visa-check.JPG

No doubt the customer service could have been better. Ryanair's "we're not assholes any more" campaign isn't fully there across the board yet. ;)

Pizzaman likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty neat scam -- deny boarding, charge 100 quid for a replacement ticket, then refund the original 22 quid fare payment. Net (per my math) = £78.

uggboy likes this.