Russian jet takes off with 'hole in wing'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=6335514

What looked like a large hole in the wing did not stop a Russian airline jet from taking off for Siberia with dozens of panicked passengers on board.

The Boeing 737 jet was delayed on the tarmac of a Moscow airport when one of the passengers looked out of a window and noticed an oval-shaped gap on the left wing above one of the engines.
    A video posted on the Komsomolskaya Pravda tabloid website showed the man complaining to a cabin crew member and the incident being reported to the cockpit.

Read More: http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=6335514

MLW20, rwoman, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad that I wasn't on this flight!:eek:

LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't say I'm all that surprised that something like this happened in Russia.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So? Is only haf hole in one ving! Keep drinking!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's why I always laugh at my co-worker who makes sure to fly ONLY western planes when in Russia. As if poor maintenance is reserved only for Yak's and Tu's.

To address the sensational headline, here is the actual quote:

Tyurkin said all that was missing from the wing was the cover to a hatch workers use to check the left engine. It was not immediately clear who had misplaced the hefty piece of equipment or why.
    "This was a technical element. Its absence doesn't prevent takeoff," said Tyurkin. "It does not affect safety."
    Russian news reports said Moscow transportation officials had opened a preliminary probe into the case.