Russia Becomes a Magnet for U.S. Fast-Food Chains

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Russia Becomes a Magnet for U.S. Fast-Food Chains;)

MOSCOW — Earlier in his career, Christopher Wynne put his Russian expertise to work researching arms proliferation for the American government. Now he’s engaged in geopolitics of another sort: deploying American fast food for the emerging Russian middle class.​

Mr. Wynne is the top franchisee in Russia for the Papa John’s Pizza chain. His competitors include the American chains Sbarro and Domino’s, and a Russian upstart, Pizza Fabrika. But so far, compared with the largely saturated United States market for fast food, Mr. Wynne says he is finding plenty of demand.

“I could succeed in my sleep there is so much opportunity here,” said Mr. Wynne, who has just opened his 25th Papa John’s outlet in Russia, doubling the number in the last year.

2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the next great business opportunity will be selling plus-size clothes in Russia. Not much demand now, but Mr. Wynne's efforts will certainly make it a huge market in a few years.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    First the big food and after this the big clothes, plus I imagine after this weight loss treatments, doctors and fitness centres!:) Sound like a BIG CHAIN is building up there!:eek:

Kalboz and legalalien like this.
  4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone actually think that the Russians need prodding to live an unhealthy lifestyle? They have insane levels of alcohol consumption and are a world leader in cigarette smoking. They already have a roughly 50% obesity rate. The life expectancy for a Russian male is roughly 63 years.

A few fast food meals are the least of the Russians' public health concerns.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On top of this, wow, now the fast food companies help the Russians to up this lifestyle even more!:eek:

Kalboz likes this.