Rumour - Hyatt in Cupertino?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Toula, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone heard if the construction site on De Anza opposite the main campus of Apple in Cupertino is going to be a Hyatt? My husband was told this by a colleague this week, there is no signage on the construction site indicating such.

If it is true it would make sense as the only competition in the area among the chains is the Kimpton and the Hilton.

2. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can confirm this. It will be a Hyatt Place.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    IDGflygirl and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent, finally a place close enough to us to do MR if needed. However, of course it happens just as we are about to leave Silicon Valley.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hooray! I can finally do Hyatt mattress runs when I visit my parents. That place used to be a Texaco, right across the street from my old elementary school.

But the planning commission website mentions this will be the first Hyatt Place in Santa Clara County. I thought Hyatt recently announced a Hyatt Place in San Jose. Am I mistaken?

6. retirementdreams

retirementdreams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people don't believe that San Jose is in Santa Clara County.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe that statement on the website is based on when the project was approved: "
    City Council approved the project on January 20, 2009"

Scottrick likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ain't that right! Most of the rest of Santa Clara County was incorporated to avoid becoming part of San Jose. :rolleyes:

9. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like that Hyatt is expanding but where are all the full service hotels? It seems every time I read about a new Hyatt hotel it's either HP or HH, with the exception of Saudi Arabia.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, a new full service Hyatt was recently announced for midtown Atlanta, supporting the Regency downtown, Grand in Buckhead, and the Regency Suites near 75 and 285

kenbo likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where are all the hotels in locations I want to travel to? I am looking at you, Europe.

kenbo and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    As happy as I am to have another Hyatt affiliate in this area (though there are really quite a few around already...compared to SOME places), it's just not going to replace Rickey's in my heart.

Scott Schmidt likes this.
  13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am starting to believe that the Hyatt strategy is to cover every city in China. Seems hardly a week goes by without an announcement of another property in some unknown Chinese city.

Seems to me a big focus is on business destinations rather than places that leisure travellers might want to go.

kenbo likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cupertino is a business destination rather than a leisure traveler target, but it is NOT in China (though it has obviously tight connections with China). :D

15. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Remember that Hyatt doesn't own most of the properties - they do manage most of them however. Therefore, it's easier for them to get "new" hotels where there is a lot of development (eg China & Middle East) rather than Europe (where there is little new development) or the US (where most of the "new" properties are in the limited service area - eg Hyatt Place & Hyatt house). In Europe & the US, most "new" Hyatt (as well as other company's "new" properties) are reflags from other brands (due to a sale of the property itself or some falling out between the ownership and the flag).

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me that the limited service market isn't nearly as saturated in Europe as it is in many parts of the US. (but it's just a gut feel, not based on numbers)

17. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're absolutely correct (I think). However, Europe isn't so automobile focused as the US so that many of the suburban locations that the limited service properties wouldn't be appealing in Europe (unlike the US where for "most" cities, you "need" to have a car anyways). There are few limited service properties in US cities that are not so "car based" anyways (New York City is a good example - where some of the limited service flags do not really have much lower rates than the full service ones anyways).

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Excellent points, Peter!

19. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Cupertino location is interesting especially since in a few years, Apple will move south about a mile making this hotel not such an obvious choice. This location will hurt the aging Cupertino Inn across the freeway, which used to be rather nice.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But I assume someone else will move into the current Apple HQ, no? By the way (and off topic), are they going to take their Infinite Loop with them when they move?

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new campus will not be near any hotels except for the Woodcrest (incredibly old, and I'm surprised they aren't closed yet) and two low-end Hilton/Marriott properties near the highway at Cupertino Village.

The new Hyatt will be just as good a choice as anything else in the city, and other than the Cypress (a non-chain) it will be the only one not adjacent to a highway.

RichardInSF likes this.
  22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure the plan is to have no roads whatsoever. People will park at a lot on the edge and take an underground train to the campus. Infinite Loop will probably stay where it is.

RichardInSF likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But is that train going to run in an infinite loop?

RichardInSF and Scottrick like this.
  24. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I.e., going nowhere? Time will tell!

25. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those who are interested... (and I know we are a select few):

The new Hyatt Place is going to be taking the place of the old Texaco station. And right next door there's going to be a private restaurant for Apple employees only so that they can talk shop without being overheard. I wonder if there will be potential to guest people in like they have at Google?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...uild-private-restaurant-to-keep-out-snoopers/

See the architectural plans here.

http://cupertino.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=14&clip_id=1311&meta_id=72135