Rumor is that AA will come out with a Premium Economy product in 2016

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brodyf, Dec 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though AA claims it is too early to say what will happen with upgrades, you've gotta believe they've already determined that 1) to use a SWU from Y>J, you'll have to buy PEY or 2) For people using SWUS (or miles+copay, I suppose), they'll still consider it as Y and allow Y>J, without any sort of minimum fare, etc.

Interested to see how it all shakes out, though we obviously have some time before the first aircraft even rolls out with the new product..

3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Explats are going to be up in arms about that change. I'm guessing it will be Y to J still for SWU, with PEY getting priority.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect you are right, but it has become difficult to predict airlines' policies in advance in this new normal. Seems to me that's particularly true with something so entirely new.

Although I'm EXP, my regularly traveled routes don't include the aircraft affected, but from what I see, this is something quite innovative and positive. Status aside, this is something that many traveling with company induced restrictions will appreciate. It looks pretty darned comfortable to me. Certainly not J, but definitely tolerable.

It's a clear bridge over the gap between Y (torture) and J (comfort). In fact, it looks quite similar to (actually better than) the J product on the E190s flown by Avianca between North and Central/South America. I'm flying that next week and looking forward to it.

Interesting question: Will this mean a loss of MCE?

flyforawg likes this.
  6. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aa has indicated that MCE will stay. In what capacity we don't know.

I don't think I will be flying aa in 2017 (aadvantage gutted), so this won't affect me either. But this like you, I think this is an exciting new product.

7. Abidjan

Abidjan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopeful MCE remains.