Rules on Co-terminal Standby

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by spkg, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a flight into JFK for Financial reasons, but I where i really want to go is EWR, I see this in my fares

C. UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE FARE CHARGED/ WHEN
    TICKETED FROM/TO CHI/HOU/NYC/WAS/DFW THE PSGR
    MAY CHECK-IN AND STANDBY FROM/TO ONE OF THE
    AIRPORTS LISTED BELOW.
    CITY - AIRPORT
    CHI - MDW/ORD
    HOU - HOU/IAH
    NYC - EWR/JFK/LGA
    WAS - DCA/IAD
    DFW - DFW/DAL

What exactly dose that mean, I've always known that there was a Co-terminal rule, but I've never actually tried it before.
    Its not a huge deal, but it would be great if i could actually standby for a flight to EWR, any experiences?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In theory, yes it's very possible and I've heard of people having success with this. In practice I know some people have struggled with it. Since your fare rules seem to list EWR as a co-terminal for standby purposes, I can't see why you couldn't.

3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    As DestinationDavid mentioned, it may be possible, but many fares into certain co-terminals specifically prohibit standing by at others. I flew into BWI a month or so ago, and was returning to SEA via JFK (upon which I had already cleared into F); there is only one daily BWI-JFK and I had a sizable layover to connect to the only daily JFK-SEA, so when I needed to push back my departure to tend to some business in Washington, I called the EXP desk to see if I could do a same-day change to a later DCA-JFK. The helpful agent placed me on hold to look into my SEA-BWI fare, and found that co-terminal changes aren't permitted for either standing by or SDC. I hear that similar restrictions happen between LGA/JFK fares and EWR fares; one can usually change between LGA and JFK, but different fares are often offered to and from EWR so co-terminal changes to that airport are more restricted. As with all things airline, YMMV! [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried this between MIA and FLL and although they are co-terminals my fare rules prohibited it.

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience it is much easier to do this coming into a co-terminal instead of leaving from one.

spkg and Gargoyle like this.
  6. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone for your experiences, I will report back after the trip.

7. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been a few years, but I've done standby into MDW on a ticket to ORD, and standby out of JFK on a ticket from LGA, no problems.

8. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, rate desk is all over the place whenever you ask for this change to be done. But my advice is be persistent.

Unless there are flight restrictions in the FLT APPLICABILITY section that specifically require travel to/from a specific airport or on specific flight ranges, you should be good to go for both standby as well as CFC to/from the cities listed. If you meet resistance, then hang up and try again. Or speak with a different agent.

The only time where this is technically not permitted is when you are on an award ticket. No changes to origin or destination cities are typically allowed. However, I've found that GAs and TAs don't pay that close attention and will often list you on standby to/from an alternate city.

9. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also,"standby" means two different things. "Confirmed Standby" seems to go "OK" and with a little extra effort a reservations agent can make it work. Classic "standby" where you show up at a gate different than what you originally wanted to fly seems to be much more complicated.

+1 the issue of flying "to" a co-terminal versus flying "from". And IME, it's more based on AA's needs rather than your wants.

10. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if you could do this on an award ticket?

11. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

12. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    Technically, award tickets are more restrictive than purchased tickets when it comes to the origin and destination. The rules of the award are that any changes to origin airport or destination airport, even between airports designated as co-terminals or where standby would ordinarily be permitted on a paid ticket, you are supposed to be charged a $150 change fee unless you're EXP.

However, in practice, I have always been successful in standing by to EWR from LGA/JFK or v.v. on award tickets. Sometimes it may take a couple of agents though before finding one who will do it without looking too closely at the ticket.

Just don't be surprised if you meet resistance when on an award ticket, and if you do, know that the agent is correctly interpreting the fare rules associated with mileage award tickets.

13. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience, and this matches what the phone agents have told me were the rules, is that changing the ticket to a co-terminal incurs the charge, but that standby to/from a co-terminal does not.

14. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called and was told there would be a $150 change charge.
    By co-terminal do you mean leaving from the same airport but landing at a different airport than you were ticketed for?
    Not leaving from a different airport.
    How early are you able to try and go standby?
    I'm set to fly from STI tomorrow would prefer POP.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It actually sounds like you're changing your ticket, not flying stand by from a co-terminal.

In the contract of carriage for your ticket, it will list which airports are considered co-terminals. These are airports that AA flies to that are in close proximity to one another, for example LGA/JFK/EWR all serve the NYC area. If AA is charging you $150, I'm guessing STI/POP are not listed as co-terminals in your fare. You'd have to check it yourself to be sure though, it should be Rule 16 in your fare related to penalties.

If you want to fly out of POP it sounds like you'll have to pay the fee. :(

Original Member likes this.
  16. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find the Rules on award travel anywhere on my reservation. Maybe the rules are just for paid tickets not award. No big deal will just fly out of STI.

17. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Co-terminals_(AA) . AA does not recognize any co-terminals out of CONUS.

18. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting link. Not sure what CONUS is.

19. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The continental United States.