Rule Changes on JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets from Oct 1 2012

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by JALPak, Jul 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie to JAL miles, what does this change mean? It looks like if you are to redeem JAL miles, what are some of the great things you can do that you couldn't do before? Does it change what the best use of miles are?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    EK F becomes more affordable, I believe. Flights to Hawaii from Japan or the US West Coast are pretty reasonable now, too.

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I notice that the new terms show that 1 surface sector is permitted in addition to having a different point & origin. Also, the new terms state that there are now 2 stopovers which seems to include the destination.

In my mind, this allows for several different itineraries that would work for 100k biz:
    1. LAX-HKG-BKK, surface sector, HKG-DPS(stopover)-HKG-LAX
    2. LAX-HKG-SIN, surface sector, KUL-HKG-LAX(stopover)-ORD
    3. LAX-LHR-DXB(stopover)-HKG(stopover)-LAX
    4. LAX-HKG(stopover)-SYD(stopover)-LAX
    Am I seeing great values here or am I creating itineraries that are not going to work?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you counting the surface sector distance in the TPM to figure out which tier your award is priced into? If not then you must do that.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I wasn't. In addition, I think I might have overlooked the line but I think these awards require you to book all travel on only 1 oneworld partner as well.... I knew this was too good to be true.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, single partner only, though I believe that can also include JL segments.

If you can include JL segments then 1, 2 and 4 are possible routings, I believe, except the LAX-ORD at the end of #2. The mileage may get out of whack with having to connect back via HKG or NRT all the time, but I believe they are theoretically possible.

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you can include JL flights in the single partner award. If more than a single partner is involved, you will have to redeem for the oneworld award instead.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/oneworld/

Also, you can only travel via HKG twice so routing 1 is not a valid routing.