Rude people when travelling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sfo1, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am fed up with rude people. Whether it is me walking a straight line down a sidewalk and people will cut directly across your path, or come up behind you and then pass and cut directly across in front of you. Go to open a door and someone grabs it and goes in first. People riding bikes that have no sense of courtesy. At 72 years of age, I really have never realized that there are so many rude people in this worlk, I thought they all lived in Vancouver BC my home, but no they seem to be everywhere. So the question is. where in the world have you experienced/encountered while travelling the rudest people in every day life?

2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know who I hate more, people who are intentionally rude or those who are just unaware. I can't stand when people are not in tune with their surroundings or others around them and will do stupid stuff like just stop and stand in the middle of an entrance. I also don't like gate lice who try to cut in line boarding the aircraft and people who don't use their turn signal when they are driving, and unfortunately they are everywhere!

catgirl, yaychemistry, sfo1 and 7 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boarding flights at FCO has had its frustrating moments with pushy people.

Unfortunately, some feel that common courtesy is unnecessary...:confused:

yaychemistry, Flyer1976, sfo1 and 3 others like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my geographically limited experience:
    - My experience in Denmark/Sweden has been horrible, to my great surprise. People cut in line, get on board out of order, put the their luggage up front even when sitting in the back and then storm to the front before the plane even stopped.
    - Anywhere in Russia you have a high chance of encountering rude people cutting you off or trying to sneak in under thepretense of "this will be quick!" At the same time, the rest of the crowds are rather good at shaming those people, which isn't common in US, so there is somewhat of a balance.

Flyer1976, rwoman, sfo1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ill-mannered people in all walks of life no matter where we go. That's just an unfortunate aspect of our daily lives. That's why we always prepare ourselves for the worst no matter what. There are also cultural differences where certain things may be perceived as rude in one culture, but not so in another. As a result, there are no clear cut global definitions on what is rude or not for many actions and behaviours out there. When we travel to a foreign territory, we are expected to respect their customs.

Just my two cents and I am not necessarily hinting what have been discussed in the previous posts with regards to rudeness is with reference to the ones I mentioned being in the grey area depending upon culture.

catgirl, yaychemistry, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's universal in every grocery store in every town. Someone is blocking the aisle by being smack in the middle. They seem surprised when they encounter people trying to get by. Are they thinking: "Wow, I did not expect other people to be shopping in this store, how odd, I thought I was the only person who shopped here" :confused:

7. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am generally a very polite person but there are a couple of things that I have become so fed up with that I have started opening my mouth when I wouldn't have a few years ago. People who stand in front of doors and people who stop at the top or bottom on escalators. What in the world is wrong with these people!?!?

A few months ago I was at an office building downtown and was trying to exit but two guys were standing right in front of the door on the outside. The door was glass so instead of just opening it quickly and hitting them, I knocked on the glass and made a gesture for them to move. I was smiling, not being mean. They flirtily/jokingly moved and one laughed and said "I'll move but it'll cost you" and I laughed back "it's not my fault you don't know not to stand in front of doors" the other guy laughed. But even though we joked, seriously? You are standing in front of the door. Do you know what doors are for?

As for the escalator people, I've had this happen multiple times and the worst was when a woman who was maybe only two steps up from me immediately stopped and stood at the very top of the escalator (still between the moving handrails, not in the open area at all) as soon as she reached the top. I didn't have the magic powers to stop the escalator from moving so I plowed right into her. I was not happy in any way and I may have said a few rude words. But really, you stop on literally the top step of a moving walkway? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rant over

People have no sense

8. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    People just dont care anymore. Last week I had a meal with 18 collegues and I notice when ordering that I was the only one there whom started my order with "May I please have the" I was also the only one at the table whom said thank you when the plate was presented. Now I am a littel more atuned to this behavior since we currently have a 4 year old whom we are trying to impart these behaviors upon, and I can tell you it does not happen from us correcting him but rather from him constantly hearing mom and dad talk to each other and to him using please and thank you.

and thank you for taking the time to read my post

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar experience had happened to me several times. And even though it is not your fault that they stoped at the top or bottom of an escalator, some of them will still blame you for not watching where you are going.

yaychemistry, rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In situations like this, I've just opened the door (not with enough force to cause injury, of course). They'll figure it out when the door hits them.

This happens all the time on the subway in Washington, DC. I used to try to avoid running into people, now I don't bother.

Generally, I try to treat people the way they treat me. If they're polite and considerate to me, they get the same in return. If they're not, they get that in return, too.

javacodeguy, yaychemistry and rwoman like this.
  11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are certainly correct regarding cultural differences, and I was not speaking to those. But all cultural's should/have courtesy, common decency's that they go by. I remeber when in Shanghai, people waiting at a bus stop and when the bus finally arrived, people in the back of the line were actually trying to pull people who were getting on ahead of them off, so they could be first. Subways in Bejeing, so crowded you can only push and shove to get on or off since there are so many people, those are cultural way's of life for them, but in every culture there has to be some courtesy, ruddness cannot prevail all the time.

catgirl and rwoman like this.
  12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've given up on trying to care at all when it comes to stuff like this.... I just consider it a part of life since there's nothing we could do about it without going to jail or getting sued.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of escalators...

On the London Underground escalators, it's clearly marked to "Stand on the right." However, many fail to do so and then seem to get annoyed when I say, "Excuse me, please stand on the right." as I pass by.

Of course, there are also those who take others out on the escalator as they push their way up or down the steps...carrying suitcases.

:rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You haven't experienced Rude until you meet the French in Paris...

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually my three trips to paris in the last 10 year i have always commented I thought the french in paris were the most polite and helpful of anywhere i have traveled.

16. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.
    The rudest people I've ever enoucntered in Paris were other Americans.

Flyer1976, FlyingBear and particlemn like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the DC subway, the unwritten custom is to stand on the right, walk on the left of escalators. Locals have been saying for years that the WMATA (the local transit authority) should have signs saying that, so tourists & other infrequent riders will know not to block the left side. WMATA, however, refuses to do so. They'll say something about legalities, but if they really wanted to do it, they could find a way.

In the meantime, we're stuck behind tourists who plant themselves on the left side of the escalator and get pissed when you ask them to move. I'm not yet at the point of shoving people out of the way, although I've been tempted a few times. Now, if there's enough space for me to squeeze through without knocking them down, I'll certainly do that. If they don't like that, they don't have to block the damn escalator. If there's not enough space, I just give the person they're standing next to a dirty look. More often than not, they tell their companion to move out of the way.

It never ceases to amaze me that people don't realize that while they're on vacation, people who live in whatever city we're talking about are trying to get to work or go about their other business.

rwoman likes this.
  18. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, that assumes the escalators in Metro are actually working. :rolleyes:

canucklehead, rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. :)

Flyer1976, canucklehead and rwoman like this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was the unwritten rule everywhere. I certainly expect people to do that on escalators and moving walkways whether it's in DC or SFO or Frankfurt. And it's not a matter of tourist vs. local. Even as a tourist I often want to move faster than the escalator alone allows.

sobore and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    where those people yelling in english because they thought the french cound not hear them and if they yelled it would be easier to understand, that was waht i witnessed

22. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo!
    Not to say that there aren't rude Parisians, there are, just like there are rude people everywhere. Just not something I've ever really encountered - or became used to and so don't see as rude any longer having lived there.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    I think it has something to do with which side of the road cars drive on. It affects which side of the sidewalk people walk on as well as stairs and escalators.
    It is a major irritant to me to have groups of tourists walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk on crowded streets like Michigan Avenue in Chicago....

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  24. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, I find there are more pleasant than rude people and try to not let it bother me -- the exception being driving in Manhattan! :eek:

25. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess I am not very tolerant of rude and unconscious travellers, either. My pet peave is parents with small kids who yell, scream, run up and down the aisles, kick the back of seats, and are generally disruptive to the serenity of the surroundings. What makes it worse is that the parents or grandparents think that the kids are cute and get beligerant if someone suggests that a little good behavior is called for during the flight.:mad: