Rubbing Salt In The Wound: Malaysia Airlines CEO “Explains” Layoffs

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Malaysia Airlines' new CEO just finished up his first week at his new job. As I wrote about late last year, former Aer Lingus CEO Christoph Mueller just took over at Malaysia Airlines, in an attempt to restructure the airline and return it to profitability. He was known as "The Terminator" at Aer Lingus, and it seems he's already bringing that attitude to Kuala Lumpur. ;) I certainly don't envy his job, since the airline was already losing a lot of money before the disastrous year they had in 2014. What makes this especially tough is that I'm not sure where Malaysia Airlines is actually supposed to find their niche long term: -- They're cutting their longhaul flying, given the amount of money they're losing on it -- They seem to want to focus mostly on shorthaul flying, though I'm not sure how they plan on competing with all the low cost carriers out there, who simply have more competitive cost structures. The post Rubbing Salt In The Wound: Malaysia Airlines CEO “Explains” Layoffs appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...