Rubber Plugs for Empower

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a United 757 the other day and saw that the empower connector was covered up, not with the usual beige metal strip, but a black rubber cover.

At first I was mad, because it looked like it was yet another seat that used to have power and now it didn't. But upon closer inspection, the rubber cover was more of a flap, and once lifted the empower connector was actually fully functioning.

[​IMG]

Anyone else seen these new rubber flaps for the empower connectors?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen those. Perhaps its a response to a liability issue (though DC isn't exactly a safety risk). On a side note, is there any news on if/when UA will be modifying their fleet to have AC ports like CO's newer 738s and 739s? That's the kind of change I'd like.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never seen them...but my guess is that it would be to keep out crumbs &/or liquids. I haven't heard any news of fleet modifications to include regular AC ports, but the new international J & F seats do have them. My guess is that they'll be added only if the seats on these birds get an upgrade as well.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the little rubber covers on several a/c and to me it is a welcome sign when I see it vs the little metal plate as more often than not, the rubber cover means em-power is working ;)

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do any CO domestic planes have electrical outlets in coach? Particularly the 767s?

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the U.S. 767s have EmPower in rows 16-23. I think the Mike versions are a little different.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 76H has power only in the mini-cabin and forward.

Has anyone else experienced repeated failures of the empower system to actually be functional on the UA 752s? I think I'm at about 2/6 in getting a working one recently, including no love on Wednesday when I could've used it.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do any planes carry the conversion kits? It is absurd these days to have power that cannot be accessed and to expect us to have these archaic devices.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure the CO duty-free cart sells the adapter. They definitely used to.

I reported the troubles with the UA system via UALsurvey.com and got a $250 TCV and a promise that they'd try harder.

10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a 320 they had put a metal plate over where the outlet was.

11. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a teaser- I have an empower setup even in a little case with all original stuff I have had for about 2 years. I probably only used it 4 times. The small black bag that holds the stuff says iGo. It has the airplane adapter, the car adapter, a bunch of tips, all works great last time I used it. I think it is an iGo Everywhere85. I just don't use it very much and it's taking up space.

In the interest of all things MilePoint and my esteemed fellow travelers/airborn colleagues, I am offering free to a good MilePointer. PM me and for goodness sakes if you see my posts around like me :) or throw me some drink coupon or karma or club pass or SPG50 or whatever. Nothing required, happy to give.

If anyone wants it or can use it PM me.

12. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    iGo flight power adapter gone to a good new home. Thanks for PM's and cheers.