LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the best RTW wit OW?

any ideas?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As well as airline specific RTWs there are two oneworld alliance RTW products.

One World Explorer - continent based with some routing restrictions, limited to OW airlines (plus very limited affiliates).
    Global Explorer - mileage based and includes more non-OW airlines.

However, depending on where you want to go, some other OW products may also be useful. Eg circle trip is continent based but doesn't require you to go all the way around the world.

3. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Best" is quite subjective ... from my perspective the OW Circle Pacific product is a terrific value in business, then again SYD, HKG, SGN, SCL, AKL, BKK, KTM are some of my prime cities for this type of booking.

4. tt7

tt7

I'm not sure I would agree with that. When a DCIR22 was $5,100, it was "good" value (perhaps not "terrific"). When they bumped it up to $5,300 then $5,500 it was bad enough - but then when it went to $9,300, it became a lousy value, particularly as a DONE4 ex-US at that time was $9,100 - they've fixed that now though by increasing the DONE4 to $10,799. Still, a DONE4 at $10,799 is better value than a DCIR26 at $11,200....

kiwi likes this.
  5. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    the one world site has a fantastic interactive planning tool. i do a ow rtw at least once a year. just pick the most interesting places for you. never met a rtw that i didn't love!

Gardyloo and kiwi like this.
  6. NeilJaeh

NeilJaeh Active Member

Status Points:
    I've done two OneWorld RTW, the most recent being last month. The most recent routing was ORD-BRU-CDG-NRT-HKG-DEL-HKG-SYD-ORD. It made for a very nice month of travel. I like the carrier selection and the flexibility of being able to change dates without charge. Yes, I'd like to be able to change destinations as well but....

7. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you want to go and how much you want to pay.
    The ONE is an extremely good fare, although used to be a lot more flexible and have greater number of segments in the paper ticket (as well as being substantially cheaper)

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that the price for the xONEx (OneWorld Explorer) fare depends on the country it starts in, the number of continents you wish to visit, and the class of service. The fare difference for starting in one country (or continent) versus another can be quite substantial, and changes often. Another advantage for starting outside North America is that you can stop off in North America as much as you like for as long as you like, so you can make two trips out of one ticket (e.g., Spring and Fall).

We do a RTW each year, booking 330 days out so we can do one ticket as an xONEx and one as an award. In 2009 we booked the 2010 trip and at that time starting in South Korea was half the cost of the U.S.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. sdprod

sdprod Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where does one find the Explorer fares (e.g., DONE3 and DONE4)?

10. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oneworld used to have a pull-down table of xONEx fares on its website; they were pulled a few months ago. Now you can get them by subscribing to Expert Flyer (even a 5-day free trial) or KVS tools. Remember you need to factor in the "access" cost and difficulties before and after when computing net savings by starting in some other country.

Oneworld never had a comparable table covering Circle and Global Explorer fares; again, EF or KVS are your paths there, or the phone to one of the Oneworld airlines, typically the RTW desk at AA.

11. sdprod

sdprod Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gardyloo

Thanks for the reply, and sorry to be such a knucklehead

I am an EF subscriber but can't seem to find the xONEx fares.

Do I enter the same departure and arrival cities? How will I know if these are xONEx fares

Thanks in advance for your guidance on this

12. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and same city as purchase point. Example:
    To: JFK
    Place of purchase: JFK
    Use AA, BA etc for carrier, look for fare codes, e.g. DONE4, AONE3 etc.

For D/A fares, for the time being the cheapest starting points (cheap in USD) are Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, South/East Africa, maybe a couple more.

Microwave and anabolism like this.
  13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also select "OneWorld" under "alliance" instead of individual carriers.

We're doing our 2012 trip ex-TLV.