RTW (Asia, Europe, Australia/NZ) on Star Alliance in C for 120K in FEB, MAR 2014

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Nov 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Follow with me on the logic here, I’m trying to salvage something from the recent devaluations:

1) US Airways emailed many of us a 50% off any award offer through mid-March for up to 30K DM miles. So for the 90K North America to North Asia award you can travel to Hong Kong for 60K as a mini-RTW with a stopover in Europe permitted if you get the right agent. This works because US Airways considers HKG to be in north Asia.

2) From Hong Kong you can travel to Australia and New Zealand in C for 30K each way rather than 45K after Feb 1 using United Mileage Plus. United unlike US Airways considers HKG to be in south Asia which is why this works. You can fly to Australia/NZ with SQ in C in many cases (except for the 380s to MEL for example). Booked as a roundtrip you can use the usual MileagePlus stopover and open jaw rules.

4) Back to HKG, you can use LH or LX in C to get to FRA or ZRH for a European stopover back to North America. Another idea from HKG is to use SQ again to get to FCO – HKG/SIN/FCO is not blocked by SQ (its available on United MP for example but inventory is sparse). (I personally would prefer Rome over Frankfurt in February which is why I checked into this option, and US Airways and Lufthansa are not exactly good buddies). From FCO you can then use US Airways Envoy C class to Philadelphia or Charlotte and then beyond staying under 5 segments from HKG.

5) So for 120K (60/60 DM/MP) you can do a mini-RTW in business class that includes the Land Down Under with up to 4 stops and up to six segments on Singapore Airlines, thanks to the generosity of US Airways and United Airlines.

6) Also, east Asia has many normally unflyable 1x-s that can be prefixed to your flights from the US to Europe to make your summer vacation more affordable, just sayin’.

MSYgirl likes this.
  2. eddie

eddie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool that you got a 50% offer, but "many of us" does not include anyone I know. This is 150k for all of the above, which is plenty nice. As usual, time is the more expensive variable.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not one of the "many of us". :(

4. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry that you were not included in the targeted offer which expired Nov 30, I was working off a sample size of 3 of 4 all of whom had the US Airways Mastercard in addition to being enrolled in Dividend Miles. From a practical matter booking business class awards into Hong Kong in late January through mid-February is tough because of the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival traffic - Hong Kong may have the best public celebrations of anyplace. When I looked into this a bit further Hong Kong to Rome on Singapore Airlines had only one available date (Jan26) released to partners during a two month stretch. However, I still think there is a short window of opportunity of combining the US Airways 90K north Asia redemption with the reduced United south Asia to Australia/New Zealand award that opens up on Feb 1. The 150K combination unlike the 120K special situation will be bookable about a year out and offers rich potential for free stopovers on four continents, almost as good as a regular RTW award.