RT: Discount ticket one-way, refundable the way back

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by prometheusg, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly new to AA. I need to buy a round-trip ticket, but I don't know my return date or even if I'm returning within the year, but I will eventually return. Is it possible to book the way over as a discount fare and the way back as refundable? My next question is, if I cancel the return portion of the ticket, how much will be refunded? The full value of the return ticket or some "residual" amount based on the price of a one-way? Thank you!

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can just buy the one-way ticket to your destination now and the when you have a more definitive schedule for your return, book another one-way ticket back.

If you need to book both flights now, just book them as two separate one-way tickets. If the return is booked as "fully-refundable", it will be fully refunded if you comply with the terms and conditions stated in the fare rules. One ticket will have no bearing on the other.

3. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that would be simpler, but I can't buy a one-way fare for less than 'B' booking code. I would have to buy two refundable tickets. I want to know if it's possible to buy it as a round trip so that I can get the fare outbound as a discount class. I want to know if that works.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Once you have a non-refundable segment in your itinerary, the entire ticket falls into the non-refundable bucket.

5. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I figured. But I made a reservation on AA and put it on hold. When I look at the fare rules, it doesn't say anything about the return portion being non-refundable. It says the first ticket is non-refundable, but the second says,

ECONOMY RESTRICTED FARES B
    Between THE UNITED STATES and AREA 1 FOR ONE WAY FARES

The fare basis code is B2 if that matters. Where can I find the relevant info on how the ticket becomes non-refundable. It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to see it for myself. Thanks!

6. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that the site will give you the fare rules for each fare basis independently. However, when non-refundable fares are combined with refundable fares, then the refund and restriction rules take the most-restrictive form of the two.

It's been a long while since I've had to do any thing around ticketing, so this is one area where I will defer to others with more practical experience in this area. But I'm pretty sure that NYBanker is correct.

7. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. I guess we're going to have to suck it up, lol. Like I said, I kind of figured that already, but I was hoping someone would give me some good news. ;-)