RSS feed needs tweaking

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by DisneyDude, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Right now the RSS feed give a fixed "View article" link for all posts, no extra text. Most other RSS feeds (not just the other place) give a short to long summary of the text of the article. Saves having to click through for each and every article to see more than just the title.

2. +1 for robust RSS Feeds. I was trying to figure out how I could get an RSS feed of "My News" or "My Alerts". RSS is my highly preferred method of reading most forums (as I'm a 98% reader and 2% poster).

Gargoyle and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I raised this in a couple of other "enhancement" threads. For me personally the RSS feed of MP is fairly useless. Drill-down into the actual article via link requires a lot of tapping (or clicking), a network connection (no offline reading), ... I realize that sending the message body takes eyeballs away from the ads on the site, but frankly, I'd spend a lot more time on MP if I could more easily get to the content.

Unfortunately, when I looked at the software used here, it appears that this may be a limitation of the tool, based on some discussions on other sites. Maybe the admins here could customize it.

4. the Frugal Travel Guy's blog somehow has embedded ads in the RSS feed (BlogSpot), so there's a way to ensure the ad stream continues even in an RSS viewer...

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also asked for this in some feedback post. At this point I'm not using RSS because seeing only the titles is unhelpful...

6. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    This could be a deal breaker, because I too use the RSS feed for offline (inflight) viewing, flagging any posts on which I would like to drill down later. The one line title does not do it for me.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's not uncommon to see that and I wouldn't object to it as long as it's not overwhelming the actual contents. (for what it's worth, I don't use AdBlock on MP as I understand that something other than RP's generosity has to pay the bills).

8. tjc

tjc Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed - sadly, only reason I still find myself checking FT more than MiPo/MP/MilP (what's the going term?) is that it shows up better in Google Reader. Any ideas here?