RPUs Never Go Through

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yunicorner, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. yunicorner
    Original Member

yunicorner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a 1K trying to redeem a RPU but they never seem to go through. I applied them to several DTW -> EWR routes over the summer but I was always waitlisted. They would then expire at the 24-hour mark where I would then be put at the mercy of CPU. On the upgrade lists, it would always show other people having been upgraded before the flight. And due to the RPU waitlist expiring, those on top of the CPU waitlist would get the last minute upgrade. I recently also applied some RPUs to EWR -> LAX and SFO -> EWR but was also waitlisted. Just hit the 24-hour mark for EWR -> LAX and I'm seeing other people were already upgraded. What am I doing wrong? Are RPUs only good for flights where you're sure you will get a CPU?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. PVDtoDEL

PVDtoDEL Active Member

Status Points:
    RPU goes above CPU in upgrade priority. When you apply an instrument, you should be near the top of the upgrade list - only other instrument upgrades should go above you.. It's a known bug with CO's IT.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't have bugs, just customers who are confused by the offering. To alleviate that problem, RPUs will be removed.

(just kidding... I hope)

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a known bug? Where has this been acknowledged?

I had a GPU waitlisted recently and it didn't clear before check-in. I showed up on the upgrade list but got knocked down to #2. I wondered how anyone could outrank a 1K on a Y fare and a GPU. I ended up sitting next to the guy who was #1. Turns out he was on a C award and was waitlisted for the flight. So correctly, he was above me.

Sometimes the system does work.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that's impossible as wait lists for awards expire at the 24 hour mark, he was on standby for the flight in the premium cabin I believe.

Posted via a Russian Lektor in the hands of SPECTRE.

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Waitlists expire for all instruments at 24 hour mark and you go on to the standby list.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's the reason for having two different lists with two different names, have one expire, move people to another list, etc.? Seems unnecessarily complicated, confusing and error prone. Why not just have one list that starts when the flight becomes available for booking and lasts until the door closes. Instrument pax are added as they request upgrades and removed as upgrades become available. At the appropriate status-dependent time, CPU pax get added (slotted in at the appropriate position). What am I missing?

snod08 likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to TOBB it's just a guise for UA to sell out TODs under the Elites. :rolleyes:

Posted via a Russian Lektor in the hands of SPECTRE.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    An understanding of how the infrastructure supporting the operation works. ;)

IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An answer that's quick, correct, funny and unhelpful -- all at the same time. And yes, I am aware of the glass house I am sitting in (re: my first post in this thread). :)

If you have the time, please help me understand better the infrastructure that makes this (to me non-optimal and fragile) implementation necessary. And perhaps do it on your blog, so others can also benefit from it and it's not hidden away in this "obscure" thread.

daemon14 likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hanlon's razor.

Or perhaps another answer might be limitations of their legacy IT infrastructure.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not worth a blog post, IMO, but I'm happy to explain. And, yes, I was mostly being snarky. :)

Basically the current system has separate modules for reservations and day-of operations. That why so many operations are either handled by reservations or by airport ops but few agents do both. Ticketing rarely happens at the airport, for example, because it lives in a different part of the systems and those agents aren't trained in using it. Similarly, upgrade lists are a day-of thing and that's why when you call in and ask why you're not on the list the agent has no idea what you're talking about. Or why you aren't shown on the website upgrade list until you are checked in, even though you are waitlisted with an instrument or CPU-eligible. They are different systems.

There have been discussions on and off for a few years now about trying to streamline those operations and getting things like the upgrade lists to be a single system rather than split. In some cases progress has been made but definitely not in all of them. Alas, this is one where the progress is not there yet.

8MiHi, IDGflygirl, daemon14 and 2 others like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some people think "Snark" is my middle name.

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's Mr. Snark to some ;)

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We're all friends here, no? So no formality needed as far as I am concerned :)

IDGflygirl, Flyer1976 and ACMM like this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So Snark-dog is acceptable? ;)

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Woof!

Flyer1976, Wandering Aramean and ACMM like this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    One problem I see in the OP's original question is likely to do with the cities involved. If I recall correctly, WA has posted here that EWR-LAX and EWR-SFO are two of the Premier-heaviest routes on UA. If the competition is that loaded, certainly not everyone can get an UG. It makes sense that those would be hard to come by, and many probably use instruments to improve their chances if not just cough up the dough.

I haven't looked, but can't help but wonder if DTW-EWR is an A319 route. If so, those A319s only have 8 F seats. I try to avoid them for that reason.

Kalboz, 8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The few aircraft on the route with an F cabin are E70s. The others are E45s. Not many F seats at all. My guess is that the OP got outranked by Y/B/M-Ups more than not. And the earlier flights are the E70s so they may also be filled with paid biz traffic to Asia or Europe connecting via the EWR hub.

KenInEscazu, 8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That definitely factors into her poor UG rate. Personally, I have had better success on the E70s than the A319s. In this case, however, with E45s making up much of the daily inventory, I'm sure that you're right about the paid traffic. Combine that with Premiers booking those flights in hopes of an UG and the chances rapidly diminish. Looks like one of the routes that just doesn't offer much in the way of UG benefits.

Advice to OP: Seat 12A on an E45 is actually pretty darned good. I think it may have more legroom than many F seats on other aircraft. Not the F service, but at least it's more than tolerable in terms of comfort for a flight of this duration.

Kalboz and IDGflygirl like this.
  21. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you related to Snarky Snark the wrapper from the early 80s who covered Good Vibrations?

Kalboz likes this.