RPU to Hawai'i

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kansaskeith, Aug 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a relatively new 'Premier Platinum' who is trying to use an RPU to and from HNL (Christmas week :( ) The markets I am talking about are actually CPU-eligible (via DEN in V class going west and through LAX in L redeye on the return) but my thought this way I'd at least have priority over Glob Servs and 1Ks trying to use CPUs. Anybody have experience with RPUs to the islands in a holiday week and know what level upgrade you need to exercise to have any chance of clearing? Thx.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's actually R space (Upgradable Space) right now you should go ahead and upgrade.

If there's no R space available, I would encourage waitlisting as you might clear anytime from now to the day of travel.

You'd have priority outside the CPU window as long as there aren't GS/1Ks also trying to upgrade with their GPU/RPUs or Miles and Plats on a higher fare.

Hope that helped. :)

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, DIG/R_1K, the only R space available was LAX-ICT on the way home, so it cleared. The other segments, ICT-DEN, DEN-HNL, and HNL-LAX are all confirmed in coach, waitlisted for RPU. Was just trying to figure out if any frequent UA Hawai'i travelers had any sense at all how likely clearance would be in the holiday week, though I know I won't know for sure for like four months. (Only downside of doing it the way I did was that as I read the rules I have 'burned' one of the RPUs since the LAX-ICT has cleared even if the one HNL-LAX doesn't, and normally a CPU is quite sufficient on the LAX-ICT leg. Oh well.) Thanks!

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably will not get it until at the airport if you are flying during holiday week.

5. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. I do IAH to HNL quite often. Sometimes direct sometimes through LAX and SFO. I am 1K and the ability to be upgraded on those flights are slim. I have been upgraded 2 times out of 6 flights.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    T5campbell, pos or neg, this is the type of input I am looking for. Thanks! Now, for clarification, when you go through SFO or LAX, are you trying to use the standard complimentary premier upgrade, or are you attempting to redeem an 'RPU' or 1K 'GPU?' Again, thanks!

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's another data point for you, kansaskeith, that paints a slightly brighter picture because the trip is for the second week of November, which is a bit closer to your travel date, and the upgrades were requested using RPUs. All 4 segments for the JFK-LAX-HNL RT cleared at booking, meaning that there was R space availability when I booked. Xmas week could be tougher, however...

HNL.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    8MiHi, Flyer1976 and kansaskeith like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having sold Hawaii travel and knowing how bad it can be for Hawaii at Christmas, your chances are pretty slim regardless. They know people will pay full fare for those routes at those times, so there's no incentive to open up R space for premium times.

Also, you're asking in August, and a lot of that space is already sold for the year. (March is probably the best time to book for Christmas for Hawaii or Caribbean.)

To really put it in perspective: one year, the Ritz Carlton closed its waitlist with 500 deposit-paying people who'd pay full rates for the property for Christmas. The hotel has only 453 rooms, all of which were fully prepaid.

8MiHi and andyroo31 like this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The usual rules of trying to avoid heavy business travelers is thrown out with Hawaii. You are not so much competing with 1K and GS fliers using CPUs, RPUs and GPUs as you are competing with people willing to pay for the seat if you can imagine that. With the surge of visitors from outside of the US taking up hotel space in Waikiki you may still have a decent shot as there is less room available for Mainland pilgrims.
    Partying with the Japanese and Aussie tourists is a hoot. Enjoy it.

Garp74 likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, a little more than three months out and the RPU all the way home from HNL has cleared. Am a little worried about DEN-HNL on the outbound, but at least the return seems to be ok.
    uahalfconfirmed.jpg

desamo, Flyer1976, snod08 and 2 others like this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very lucky.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Desamo, I lucked out, though it was pretty tense on today's Denver - Honolulu leg. Requested in Aug., cleared just 75 min.before departure. So this Premier Platinum got all F both ways. Whew!

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent news comrade! :cool:

14. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! Upgrades to first class seats to and from Hawaii are becoming more and more rare. HNL is my home airport and I'm a 1K. Frequently, upgrades are not clearing until an hour before flight time. The other night on the HNL -> EWR flight, I was #1 on the list (using a GPU on a Y fare) until an hour before flight time. Someone WAY down the list used miles and cash to take the last seat.

Flying SFO -> HNL a few weeks ago on a K fare, at flight time I was #17 out of 90 for a complimentary upgrade.

15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, SnowDogDad - wow! I guess I lucked out! I found your story about Honolulu to Newark, as a 1K at a Y fare trying for a GPU, to be particularly sad! Ugh!