RPU refund if SFO-JFK doesn't clear but first leg does?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Jun 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    Booked a ticket SEA-SFO-JFK and I applied an RPU. SEA-SFO cleared right away but SFO-JFK is waitlisted. If I don't clear SFO-JFK can I get my RPU back?

Can I get the RPU back after I fly to JFK if I don't clear?
    If not, can I back out the RPU the morning of travel if it looks like I won't clear and get it back?

I know how GPUs work and you can get them back if the BusinessFirst upgrade doesn't clear but the domestic does. Wondering if there's a similar policy for p.s. service.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Rob,

I haven't had this happen in years, but I believe that you lose the RPU if any domestic leg clears on a RPU eligible fare. On pmCO a few years back, I was booked ORD-EWR-SJO. Obviously the EWR-SJO was my intent, but the ORD-EWR cleared instantly, and I flew in E from EWR home. Ouch!

That was using miles, so maybe the rules are somewhat different, but I argued until I was blue in the face, as I spent more miles for an intl. upgrade than it would have cost for a simple ORD-EWR. I lost the argument.

Similarly, I had a DFW-SFO-LAS-SFO-DFW booked earlier this year using two RPUs for the RT. The SFO-LAS and LAS-SFO cleared instantly, but as of the night before departure, the DFW-SFO had not cleared, nor had the SFO-DFW on the return, and those flights were almost full. I was told that I could cancel and refund the RPUs, but if I rolled the dice (on the UG, not in LAS) and lost, they would not be refunded.

As it turned out, I was late getting into DFW due to a missed connection, and I canceled the night before, so I'll never know for sure, but it looked as if I would end up in E all the way, or 2 RPUs poorer for the two short legs.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope:
    What's interesting here is that the wording on the GPUs is slightly different:
    This suggests that using a GPU would allow the non-p.s. segments to upgrade and still get a refund as p.s. is marketed as BusinessFirst. But I can also see that as being a fight to get honored.

4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year I failed to get the TATL segment upgraded, but LAX-JFK on P.S. did get upgraded. The agent happily refunded my GPU.

5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have multiple data points that show that if ps segment fails to clear you get the instrument back automatically.

You even occasionally get it back when it clears too...

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if a connecting segment clears?

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. Wound up being moot as the flight was still J3 24 hours before so they dumped all to the R bucket. Of course I had to call to get them to process the upgrade because UA still doesn't process them automatically but I got the upgrade in p.s. nonetheless.

Interested to hear how some are getting their RPUs back if the p.s. segment doesn't clear.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Wandering Aramean likes this.