Royal Jordanian (RJ) Awards Now Bookable on AA.com

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So there's that. :)
    rj.JPG

Rob and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be curious what's their current service like in business or coach. Has anyone had recent experiences with RJ?

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew ORD-AMM in J if you'd like feedback. I haven't written the trip report for it yet.

MX likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

MX likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As noted, I flew ORD-AMM in J. They use the Air France lounge at T5. BA has a lounge facility there that EXPs and PLTs can theoretically access, but I was denied entry due to crowding by the lounge dragon. I've actually been denied access at the ORD BA lounge on all but one occasion, so IMHO they're very "rejection" happy and site the lack of space per OW rules as the reason. The Air France lounge is pretty standard, not as nice as the BA offering and not even as nice as the LX lounge CX was using when I flew. Free snacks, beverages, self serve wine/booze. It's all rather meh....

On board experience was good. The seat is angled lie flat, but the angle seemed quite flat when I used it. The seat is an older model, but is holding up well. There is not seat back shell so you are much more exposed in the cabin when compared to AA's NGBC seats on the 772. More comfortable to sleep in than AA's 772 J, JL's current angled lie flat, and AB's older angled lie flat as well. I think it's actually the most comfortable angled lie flat I've slept in to date. They provide a large pillow and comforter at your seat. Cabin is in a 2-2-2 lay out similar to AA's 762s. IFE is rather run of the mill, on par with JL's limited selection, not as good as AA's offering, and lightyears head of LH's sub-par system.

Service on board was friendly yet reserved. Think more along the lines of JL's polished and aloof service vs. CX's more friendly and conversational style. The thing I found oddest about the trip is that there were two female FAs working the J cabin and 3 male FAs. The two women did all the work in the cabin while the three males sat in the galley on jump seats conversing the entire flight. Only occasionally did they come into the cabin and that was only to supervise the two female FAs for a few seconds and then return to chatting.

Food onboard was good. Better than meals I've had on AA/CX/AB catering, but not as good as meals I've had on QF/JL. They do offer liquor onboard, so no concerns in that area. Fruit juice is plentiful. No late night snack was offered on the long flight to AMM, but that might just be because I was sleeping comfortably through that portion of the flight.

Arrivals at AMM feature no fast track for J passengers, though the terminal at AMM RJ is using is brand new and quite modern, airy, and spacious.

Rob and MX like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DD, it's very helpful. Sounds like RJ was a decent experience for you, albeit far behind its middle eastern competition.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't regret making the booking at all. It was a pleasant flight and I enjoyed it. It's not in the same league as Emirates, Qatar, Etihad,or even other OW carriers like Cathay Pacific. But it's a solid product, good service, and is a good use of miles if you need to get to certain destinations. BA's J is likely better, but I wouldn't route ORD-LHR-AMM just to avoid the RJ product. It's good enough to justify flying on it's own, and I wouldn't put it in the "avoid" category. There are other products I would list there though.

brodyf and MX like this.
  8. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:

I would route ORD-AMM to avoid those BA surcharges ;).

DestinationDavid likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which is an entirely different question than the one I was asked. :)

But that's a given for any airline other than BA and IB to some extent, so not unique to RJ at all.