Royal Jordanian Air

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Middle East/Africa' started by Emos-closet, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling to Israel via Amman on RJ. Any thoughts on the service or quality in business class? I am going Chicago-Amman.

Hows the airport in Amman? I have a 4 hour wait until my connecting flight to Tel Aviv.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown RJ in business between Dubai and Tel Aviv, and was very happy with the service and flights. The Amman - Tel Aviv flight is very short, with only a pre-departure drink for service. The Amman Airport is small, but has a few shops, restaurants and a decent duty free area. The RJ Business Club Lounge at Amman is great; open bar, free wifi, showers, sleeping rooms, and a buffet. RJ also offers free stopovers in Amman with deeply discounted hotel rates and tours, if you're interested.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the info! That really helps ease my mind about the quality and experience I can expect!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Don't know if this is still relevant. I have taken the ORD to Amman flight in business several times over the past year. Seats are reasonably comfortable, and you can sleep decently on the 12-hr flight. The food is not bad -- though some flight attendants try to skip the initial drinks-and-nuts start unless you specifically ask. The major downside for me is that the seats have no power outlets, so be sure your laptop battery is fully charged if you intend to work. Lounge in Amman airport is decent, though again power outlets are very limited. Be sure to keep your boarding passes to get your AA miles-- on every trip with them so far, they have failed to credit me on one or both segments of my flight, even though I ask them to confirm my AA number is included before every flight. I find this extremely annoying.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown them often, always on regional flights. I find their business class to be on a par with most short-haul service and better than most Europeans. I have had AA miles credit without incident, but only after about two weeks.

6. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay, just got back from flying with them from ORD-AMM, I would give them a 5 out 10 rating. The business class cabin was light, fresh and clean looking, the seats were comfortable, except they have no back shell which leaves a person feeling very exposed while sleeping ( especially to the people behind you if they are not in full recline). Flight attendants were attractive and attentive but not particularly friendly or polite, but not I would not go so far as to say they were rude. The entertainment system would not boot up for the first two hours of the flight and the selection was limited. The earphones they handed out were terrible. The most disspppointing part was the food which was served a la carte and was mostly inedible. I also flew RJ Rountrip from Amman to Tel Aviv and that was a perfect and quick flight (20 min) and also from Amman to Madrid. Sitting business class to Madrid, we had a young, 25 year old, Ecuadorian flight attendant who was in training serve us. She was very sweet and pretty but kept forgetting things like picking up our water glasses before takeoff, not giving us napkins with our meal, giving us hot towels that were so soaked with water they dripped all over our clothes, serving my husband an egg dish that had salmon on the bottom after he specifically asked if there was salmon in the dish ( he hates it!) and her denying that there was fish in the dish.
    The worst part of this flight was when she gave us a bunch of English magazines to read. ALthough I know this is not the fault of the airlines it was a frightening event that happened...I opened up an issue of Time and a giant flying insect with a body cavity as thick as my thumb flew out and was flying around me buzzing and batting its wings around my head. I was trying not scream too much as my husband tried to swat it with a magazine. It took about 3 minutes before a male steward came to find out what all the racket was. When he saw this thing, his eyes grew wide and he grabbed a magazine and tried to swish it away from our seats. After about 5 minutes of running around the business class cabin, he managed to kill it. My husband and I still dont know what the insect/animal was, he thinks it was some type of beetle or jacaranda....I think it was a giant moth that had the thickest, furriest body I have ever seen. Flying Royal Jordanian was definetly an experience I will never forget.

infoworks and jbcarioca like this.
  7. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any experence/advice on RJ out of BKK? I am looking at RJ181 to AMM then 401 to BEY. Return on RJ408/182 in early/mid June.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not flown with them to AMM but have taken RJ180 from BKK to KUL. It was ok but delayed by 5 hours or something as inconvenient. Interestingly there was no recognition of OWE on board but there was generous options of food and the on board experience was pleasant enough.

infoworks likes this.
  9. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked now BKK-AMM-BEY and return starting in a week or so. Will report experiences.

10. BEYFlyer
    Original Member

BEYFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look forward to your report. Enjoy your stay in Beirut.

11. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed BKK-AMM (a good experience) and AMM-BEY (an excellent experience). I'll write more when I can.