Row Re-Numbering For United Express Fleet (Effective Oct 7 2013 and Nov 12 2013)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Sep 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that, similar to what we did across our narrow-bodymainline fleet a while ago, we're re-numbering the rows and in some cases, seat letters, in order to improve consistency across the United Express fleet.

For example, Row 18 is the new standard row number for the exit row, similar to how Row 20/21 is the standard exit row number on our narrowbody mainline aircraft. This means that in most cases, some of the rows will not be sequential.

In addition, on 50-seater aircraft, we often hear from customers that they aren't able to assign a seat in advance since many of the rows on those aircraft are unavailable for pre-assignment. As a result, we'll be adjusting the number of seats reserved for Premier members toward the front of the cabin to better match the number of reserved seats to the demand for those seats by Premier members, and to enable more customers to select seats before departure.

We will also be emailing customers affected by these changes to advise them to check their seat assignments.

I'm sure some of you will have already discovered these changes on your own, but here's a quick glance of what the new seat maps will look like (in no particular order):

For flights on/after October 7, 2013

CRJ-700
    • United First: A-CD configuration
    • United Economy: AB-CD configuration
    • Economy Plus: Rows 7-9
    • Exit Row: Row 18
    • We'll be gradually adding 4 seats in United Economy to Mesa CR7s as well as SkyWest and GoJet
    • All Mesa CR7 aircraft will have this new row numbering convention starting October 7
    • SkyWest and GoJet CR7 aircraft will keep their old numbering until they receive 4 additional seats
    For flights on/after November 12, 2013

Embraer 135 and Embraer 145
    • A-CD configuration
    Embraer 170
    • United Economy: AB-CD configuration
    • Economy Plus: Rows 7-10
    Dash8-Q400 (two-cabin)
    • United Economy: starts with Row 7 with AB-CD configuration
    Dash8-Q400 (one-cabin)
    • AB-CD configuration
    • Rows 4-6 will be skipped
    Dash8-Q200 and Dash8-Q300
    • AB-CD configuration
    • (Rear) exit row: Row 18
    • On the Q200, extra 5th seat in the last row will now be "E" instead of "C"
    CRJ-200
    • AB-CD configuration
    Please note that not all of these changes will have been fully implemented yet, but I hope this information helps!

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager, Customer Experience Planning

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and FortFun like this.
  2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up, as always. :)

3. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a cruel joke on the CR2, it's going to go Row 1-7, 18-23.

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about EMB-120?

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Aaron,

Thanks for sharing this! This is much more important than the detail changes to the 2014 MileagePlus program. I, for one, certainly appreciate you keeping us posted on the things that really matter.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about some Y+ seats on CR2!!

7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:

Sarcasm, I get it not.

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who actually fly all over the country for work and (unfortunately) have to use the RJ fleet to do that, these are far more important things to be aware of than some policy changes that are still more than three months away.

I appreciate that you seem to have some real issue with the fact that full details of the PQD set-up haven't been released (and maybe haven't been decided).

But just because you don't care about other changes, doesn't mean none of us do. This is important information and I'm glad Aaron is here to share it with us.

Steve GadFly, mht_flyer and davef139 like this.
  9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How about sending the CR2s to the scrap pile.

10. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way the pilot scope contract is written, I fear we will see more 50 seaters than fewer.

goalie likes this.
  11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether they'll go that route or not. But even if they do, the 200 is the worst of the worst. I'm no E145 fan, but it's a big improvement if they have to fly a 50 seater on a route.

goalie likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously.

Of course I value this information. I'm just trying to keep the pressure on to give us the details about the upcoming program. Many have important decisions to make which will be based, in part, on the clarification of the new program. Many of us are already starting to book 2014 travel. Doing so with a program that has so many unanswered questions is a crap shoot for some.

I'm sure that Aaron has his hands tied behind his back regarding these concerns, but he is also our voice to the people who can make the decision to release the information. The more we keep the heat on, the more likely that they will understand the importance of giving us the details. I'm a bit surprised that my concern isn't shared by some of my fellow MPers.

13. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:

Seriously!?

This kind of sarcasm crap should be left to be posted on other like forums, not here. :rolleyes:

Aaron may not know, care, or want to give us bad information so you can rant and rave about that in 2 months.

Personally we should be lucky they announced a new requirement so early, I was silver at the time when my E+ at booked got pulled and that was a VERY SHORT notice, I would think if a spending requirement is going to cause someone that much trouble, you likely aren't the customer United is looking for anyways. Don't forget even at 10cpm you are not a profitable customer.

If you think keeping pressure on someone is going to do some sort of magic I would think its going to work in reverse. As for others, there may be some but they might realize Q4 hasn't started yet.

Ontopic, I was thinking exit should have been Row21 to match mainline, but that would be kind stupid on a 145 where you sit at like row 25 when its literally 16.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I'm not used to such hostility here.

I'm really not trying to stir up any trouble here. What is likely to stir up more trouble (or so I thought) is that I'm a fairly outspoken supporter of the PQD changes. I will be 1K in 2015, and I'm looking forward to having less competition for the perks while hoping the benefits improve.

The earning of PQD is not the only unanswered question. Not by a long shot. There are many things that need to be clarified, and I have said many times that the possibility exists that they have not yet been resolved. If not, a simple acknowledgement of their continued revision prior to clarification would be greatly appreciated. I find the unanswered PMs and public inquiries to be insulting to some of UA's most frequent passengers.

Here is an edited list of all the unanswered questions about the program that I copied from another site:

Specific Unanswered Questions
    • Which of these will count toward PQD?
      • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
      • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
      • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?)
      • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers..
      • The cost of a paid upgrade..
      • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
      • Change fees.
    • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
    • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    • Why not do something simple like recalculate the PQM earnings levels for each fare bucket?
    • Will there be a tool on the UA.com website where we can precalculate PQD before purchasing the ticket? Will it work correctly (unlike the mileage tool)?
    • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
    • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
      • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
      • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
      • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
      • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
    • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
      • If a TA commits a plating violation and plates a non eligible ticket on 016 stock, would the PQD still be earned on the ticket?
      • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
      • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
        • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
        • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
        • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there is a whole thread here about that topic. No need to distract from the other news/discussions and conflate the topics.

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aaron's post really says everything anyone might want to know about this topic. The conflation of this particular thread is really not of any significant consequence.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Cruel joke" and "CR2" are redundant.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

If it doesn't matter anyways then why not keep the discussion in one place? Do you really believe that the UA employees have the information to share and are just deciding to keep it to themselves?? A remotely rational check of the situation might be useful here.

Misplaced Texan and mre5765 like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

One would hope that one doesn't preclude the other. I cannot imagine that there hasn't been a bit of "spare time" for UA Insider to take a look at the questions raised here and on FT about the PQD change. A simple "we are working on getting you the answers" would help if the answers aren't known. Or at least that's what I do when I get questions from my customers that I don't have an answer for.

And three months may seem like a long time, but many of us are buying tickets today for flights in 2014. So the impact is here today.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  20. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:

Don't you have a Costa Rican address so none of this matters.

Misplaced Texan and Flyer1976 like this.
  21. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't see what's so hard about this. The policy hasn't been announced. For all we know, the fine details of the policy haven't been finalized.

I appreciate that folks want to know, but if certain people insist on hectoring Aaron about it every time he posts information over here, it makes him unlikely to take an active role in the forum which is something we should all want.

I'm all for continuing to ask questions in the thread on the topic, but if every post about UA changes immediately becomes a PQD thread, it damages the value of the community for anyone who doesn't have a strong interest in that discussion.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mornin' Tex,

I get what you are saying. Thanks for summarizing it in a way that is clear and inoffensive.

As an RJ flyer myself, I, too, find this information useful. It's pretty simple and straightforward, however, and I really didn't expect a thread to develop into much conversation about it. Indeed it may not have gotten so much attention if I hadn't come out with my guns blazing at Aaron. ;)

Frankly, I do have a problem that I'll publicly own with regard to being ignored. Aaron is ignoring requests both publicly and privately for information about some very pertinent changes to some very important decisions for us. Seeing him post kind of sets me off when I know that a lot of people, myself included, are still waiting for other important information about the coming year's plan.

It appears that he isn't reading the related threads, so I thought I could jab him in a place where he might actually see that we haven't forgotten it. The only person I was hoping to motivate was Aaron. I would never intentionally instigate the ire of my fellow MPers. (Well... Not most of you! heh... heh... heh...)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Y'all could have left Ken's simple and mildly sarcastic post stand without further comment and there would likely have been no further discussion about the PQD topic in this thread.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you know, HMWT.... I'm such a troublemaker. ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Kevin (and all),

Well--quite a lively discussion. I can certainly appreciate that you and many others are waiting for additional information on PQD, and I assure you that when I am able to post additional information I will do so. In the meantime, I do thank you all for posting and logging specific questions. I can't promise that I'll be able to answer each and every one, but there will be additional information going forward.

Thanks,
    Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines