Row 5 and 9 on p.s. flights all booked?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Apr 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was checking out some flights in May and noticed that regardless which p.s. flight I picked, Row 5 (AB) and Row 9 (ABCD) were always showing as occupied.

Is this a glitch with the new website? Or is there something else going on?

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're typically blocked; easier to see on ExpertFlyer than United.com.

YULtide likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may mean that the secret is out. People have discovered Seat Guru and now know that seats in Row 5 (AB) and Row 9 (ABCD) are the best in the house, with miles and miles of legroom.

So, it's no glitch and I am one of the culprits: I was upgraded a month ago on an early May JFK-LAX p.s. and was early enough to secure 9D both ways...:cool:. In addition, it is not a glitch because 5A is shown as available on the outbound flight, and other than 9D, which I am in, all Row 5 and 9 seats are also shown as available on the inbound, which is in the second week of May.

This has not been my experience...Why would they be blocked?

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may simply be my lack of status. :)

I assure you, I've seen seats in those rows specifically shown as blocked when they weren't occupied.

YULtide likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must be... Because I am an early booker, I tend to get upgraded early enough to be able to select seats that I want, and you might as well write my name on seat 9D on p.s. because it is usually shown as available after I am upgraded and I grab it...just like this time, both ways. In fact, other than 9D, which I grabbed, those seats are not shown as blocked on a p.s. three weeks from now.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm talking about flights where I've checked several months in advance.

YULtide likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear those seats were only bookable if you were 1K. On day of departure they would release them to everyone else.

But now I don't see a single seat in Riw 5 or 9 now.

desamo likes this.
  8. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been rows 5 and 9 are blocked if making a dummy booking regardless if I am logged in to my account (1K here). But I can see the available seats in rows 5 and 9 if I have an existing reservation with a waitlisted upgrade. It has been like this for the past two months.

Infinite1K likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something must be wrong...

Here's the seat map for my early May JFK -> LAX p.s.:

P.S.-MEL-1.png

5A is still available and I saw and selected 9D. Here's the seat map for the return p.s. one week later:

P.S.-MEL-2.png

Note that 5A,B and Row 9 other than 9D, which I grabbed, are all available. Last, below is the seat map for my JFK->SFO p.s. the second week of June:

P.S.-PEK.png

Again, except for 9D, which I just grabbed TODAY, all those seats are available and visible.

So, it is unclear why you cannot see them during this period when it appears that those seats are available -- all of mine are on upgrades that cleared at least a month before each trip, meaning high availability.

Try changing your browser? Tech support?

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

That may explain it...

11. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K - try making a new reservation and I think you will see what both Infinite1K and I are referring to. For example, try May 22 (JFK-SFO) and 23 (SFO-JFK) or Aug 28 (JFK-SFO) and Sept 3 (SFO-JFK). I have reservations on these dates waitlisted for upgrade. All rows 5 and 9 are blocked in the seatmap but the seatmaps in my reservations show them as available like the images you have attached.

Infinite1K and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that this is an "apples and oranges" thing. I was talking from a perspective of having already booked the flight, while they were clearly talking about the situation pre-booking. I seldom look for available seats before booking so I obviously would not have noticed what they reported. Your perspective solves the "mystery": one must have already secured a ticket (not necessarily an upgrade, at least for 1Ks) to see the "best seats in the house."

Cheers!

13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got it. Before making the reservation, you cannot see the seats (does not matter if you are logged in or not). After making the reservation the seats show up.

However I discovered that if you don't use .pss and use the mobile site and/or the iPhone app, you will see the seats.

So here are three views of the seat map for UA 760 on May 12.

.pss Not logged in

[​IMG]
    .pss Logged in (no difference in Row 5 and 9)

[​IMG]
    Mobile (iPhone uses same APIs, so same seat map on there too). Voila! Availability in row 5 and 9:

[​IMG]

14. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only wish 6CD weren't always taken. Those are the hardest to come by in my experience.

Row 9 has been very easy. Still ambivalent on that and row 5. Like Row 5's better service, but like Row 9's gratuitous but in the end no additional utility space. But with the reconfiguration all of the above are moot. With the footwells and no biz seats beyond the exit row they'll all be essentially the same.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here's how they're shown on ExpertFlyer:

pss-c-seats.png

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It just dawned on me that the reason rows 5 and 9 are blocked prior to booking may be because of what they have in common other than extra legroom: they are both exit row...;)

17. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see seats in the exit rows for other configs.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that they are exit rows might not be it...just the extra legroom?...hmmm.