Routing rule - can I route via Asia from Europe to the US?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by r0m8470, Dec 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I was wondering if I can route an award flight back to the US from Europe via Asia? I read on a blog that United does have some routing rules (and restrictions) but they do not have mileage limits on award tickets.

I've done with the arrangement for the outbound leg of my trip, and have the flight routed via Canada (YUL), originating from Seattle and end up at CDG. On the back half of the trip, I was wondering if I can route via Asia and tack on a stopover? Going back from Europe to US on one-way cost about 70K miles per tix on business, and if routing it via Asia increase the redemption to 85K, I don't think that would be bad.

I was wondering if I can do CDG/FRA/LHR/MUC/GVA/CPH to SIN (or PEK or ICN), have a stopover at the Asian city, then continue back to the US? I read that one-way is allowed 3 connection points.

Can any expert on this board help confirm/refute this?

Thanks!

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has been reducing flexibility. I doubt you'd be able to get that ticketed without the cost skyrocketing.

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can try it on the multi-city tool but start somewhere East (i.e. ORD/YYZ/NYC) and it should be able to price out fine (ORD-CDG-NRT-SEA). The trick is trying to place it on hold and talking to a UA rep to change the origin before booking or you can book it and pay to have the origin changed and a flight added ... maybe.

4. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response.
    I've been doing some reading on UA website, and the rules explicitly said no stopover allowed on one-way itinerary. Since I've booked the first leg, that rule (if enforced 100% by their system) would be hard to beat.

I'm thinking of changing my one-way from US to Europe, to a round trip, starting from the US and going east then back to the US. But the complications to that would be how to split it into coach class travel at the first leg, then all business on the second leg. I don't know if that's allowed by their system. If it is allowed though, I'd gladly bit the bullet and pay the change fee.

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mixed class itineraries are allowed but you will encounter trouble trying to book that online. The carrier that is notorious for not allowing mixed class is Avianca.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has nothing to do with UA reducing flexibility; Europe to North America via Asia has never been a permitted routing on UA awards or on the old CO awards.

But US-Asia is permitted via Europe and the pricing isn't too much different. And a stopover in Europe en route to Asia is also permitted. I currently have a trip ticketed for NYC-HAM, HAM-NRT, OSA-NYC all in Y for 70,000 points.

Given what is already booked there would be a change fee involved and you would likely need to call in to book it but overall it should be viable at the slightly higher rate.

As for mixed cabin itineraries, assuming the Asia trip is in the cards you'll pay for business class if any segment between SEA and the final stop in Asia is in a premium cabin. So if SEA-YVR is in C and YVR-FRA-SIN is all in Y that would price as a C award. Similarly, however, if SEA-YVR is in Y and YVR-FRA-SIN is in C that is a C award and it is no problem to have the one segment in Y. Calling in to book more complex trips like this is generally the best approach.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd argue it has a lot to do with the reduced flexibility. Previously, when you could book more than 4 segments each way it was very easy to do the US-Europe via Asia, now it is quite difficult to find the availability, hence why I didn't even mention it.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you start and finish. And you implied that Europe to US via Asia previously was possible but now it is not because of "reduced flexibility." That's somewhere between misleading and wrong.

9. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I was actually playing around with the UA website last night, and the prospect, I would say, looks good. I was able to piece this kind of itinerary:

YUL-CDG (in coach)

then 6 days later:
    CDG-PEK/ICN/PVG/TPE (with 1 connection in between in some options; in business)

then a day later (but less than 24 hours from the landing time at the Asian city):
    PEK/ICN/PVG/TPE-SEA/SFO (in business)

and these options priced out at 105K, which I thought is not bad. I am still short about 30K-ish miles, but knowing I have the option is a relief, until the rules change again of course!

What I am curious about is if I can have an actual stopover in the Asian city, vs the 18-23 hours stop.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably not.

You are allowed one destination (in your case about PEK/ICN/PVG/TPE) and one stopover (in your example above CDG). You cannot stop elsewhere for more than 24 hours on the same award.

You can, however, add an open-jaw to the itinerary. So if you were to buy your own fare between a couple cities in Asia you should be OK. Sometimes there are issues if you cross regions with the open-jaw on an award. In your case, however, China (Mainland), South Korea, Mongolia and Taiwan are all part of the "North Asia" award zone so you could fly in to ICN and home from TPE. So long as you get yourself between the two on a separate ticket it would be fine.

Garp74 likes this.
  11. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just played around with the sites more. It actually lets me setting up an itinerary where there is an actual stopover in Asia (on my case, SIN). The dates between the arrival and departure from SIN is about 7 days. The itinerary prices out at 115K miles per person, with YUL-CDG in coach, the rest in business. It's more from the ICN itinerary since SIN is considered SE Asia, which is more expensive (my guess).

If I have to make an open jaw, I guess I can do it from PEN or KUL. That would work almost as well as coming out of SIN.

Noobie question:
    What are C and Y?

12. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The SIN stop makes sense so long as that is your only stop in Asia. It is when you try to have more than two stops on a trip that you'll have troubles.

14. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the fare class information. Now it's time to collect and hope that the spots do not run out .... :)

15. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just realized that there are complications on my plan ....:confused:
    in
    The original plan was:
    (*) SEA-YVR-YUL-CDG (stopover, 7 days) -PEK (my destination)/SIN (my wife's destination)

then
    (**) PEK-(or via ICN/TPE/NRT)-SEA (me), and KUL/BKK (d+14, my wife's itinerary open jaw on the return leg)-ICN/TPE/NRT-SEA

I thought we can split the (*) leg in coach and business, with the Europe to Asia part in business. The 2nd leg is always planned in business. I don't think we will be able to do that, do we? If we are taking Europe to Asia leg in business, that part of the trip will be counted in business in its entirety, yes?

I thought I would be able to spend 30K each for the US to Europe leg, then have a Europe to US leg via Asia, in business (one way for 70K). That in itself is not bad, except that on one way, I don't believe UA allows any stopover, which is what we're planning for all along. My wife works part time and have family in SE Asia. So the plan was for us to travel together, then in Asia she would go home visit her family, and I would continue back to the States.

For us, since we put the stopover in CDG, then in Asia we can open jaw the itinerary with a round trip award. But a round trip award, SIN would be the destination, which makes the SEA-YVR-YUL-CDG-PEK-SIN, as the first leg of a round trip. If that is the first leg of a round trip (assuming that it does not break connection count), I don't think I can split that into a mixed coach/business and priced it with mixed rate. I'd be surprised if I could .... but not counting on it.

I am thinking now maybe we'll just do the following:
    1. Me - 2 one-ways (US to Europe in coach at 30K, Europe to US via Asia - no stopover, in business at 70K). I can squeeze a quick jaunt in either Beijing, Taipei or Seol maybe.
    2. My wife - 1 round trip (US to Asia via Europe, open jaw in Asia, then back to US, in business for at 160K)

If the intent is to have the Europe to Asia, then Asia back to US in business, are there better options to structure the itinerary and maximize the miles?

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Buying it as a US-Asia in biz both ways is cheaper than US-Europe in Y + Europe-Asia-US. Even if you only fly in Y for the US-Europe part.

And it is also a valid routing; the latter may or may not be. Your idea of Europe to US via Asia for 70 will not work.

17. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. So a round trip in biz would be 160K since it's most likely by a UA partner.
    Curious why the Europe to US via Asia for 70K one way would not work. Would UA consider that as 2 separate award or is it because I am crossing over a different region? If I can make that in just 2-3 segments max, that's still not allowed?

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not a valid routing because UA sets the rules and that's what they say. Even if you did it in only two flights it would not be permitted.

If you can get UA from Asia to the US then you can fly partners on the intra-region flight (eg. TG or SQ for SIN/BKK-HKG and then HKG-USA on UA). But if any segments on a partner cross a region then you pay the partner rates for that whole portion of the ticket.

19. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! I guess it's as easy as that ...

I did call UA, and you're right. They're not allowing Europe to US via Asia, it would be counted as 2 redemptions. But, they do allow redemption from US to Asia, with stopover in Paris, in coach, then continue from Asia to US in business, for 120K per ticket.

Wandering Aramean likes this.