Routing legality question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jeffrey, Dec 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to adjust an award booking I have to SIN with a stopover in Tokyo that I booked with UA miles, and I'm wondering if it's legal to make a routing that has a "circle" in it before a direction change, e.g. ORD-NRT-SIN-NRT(stop)-FRA-ORD or a bigger one like ORD-ICN-SIN-NRT(stop)-ICN-ORD (regardless of direction of the last leg). Also, as far as MPM routing rules, I should use expertflyer's distance from my origin to Singapore, and then add 15% for the max I can travel in one direction.. is that correct?
    Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MPM no longer matters for UA awards. Ignore it.

Generally going back through a connection point is not permitted unless your destination is on the other side. So if you are flying ORD-SIN//SIN-NRT//NRT-ORD then the outbound can connect in NRT and you can stop there on the way back.

You may run in to trouble with trying to cross both oceans on a normal award; sometimes the systems/agents balk and call it a RTW instead.

edekba likes this.
  3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming I got a cooperative agent, then, it *would* be legal to do US-ICN-SIN (destination)-NRT (stop)-Europe-US, but not if NRT is my gateway *into* Asia (instead of Seoul)? Having never done anything remotely like this, what are the chances of a "cooperative agent" for this sort of trip?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It does not matter if the gateway is NRT or ICN (or something else).

The harder part is both oceans. Most agents won't do that IME.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might have problems going through FRA. In my experience trying to book award tickets to India from the West Coast, you have to come back the way you went (either via the Atlantic or via the Pacific) otherwise it is around-the-world. The only way around it is to book as one-ways in which case you lose your stop-over. Anyway, still worth giving them a phone-call or two (hang up try again). Sometimes agents do things they're not supposed to. You might just get lucky, but don't count on it. Good luck. :)

edekba likes this.
  6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if Aeroplan's rules are different from Mileage Plus, but Aeroplan will let me book a YQR-(YEG/YYC)-LHR-(BKK/SIN)-PER outbound and a (MEL/SYD)-LAX-DEN-YQR inbound, so there seem to be at least a few situations where round-the-world tickets are possible.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They are. Quite so.

UA officially doesn't allow TATL for trips to Australia/New Zealand either.

PhotoJim and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially. :D

9. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would it be possible to go from AKL to SFO routing through Asia and Europe on a one way award?

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I routinely organize my UA one-way awards with multiple touchdowns and <24 hour layovers at locations such as SIN or BKK or IST; Star hubs receive favorable treatment on MP awards. My last two awards transited the connecting points five and four times respectively. These were both one-ways.

It's probably better not to post details on how this is done, but it's quite straightforward. Use UA.COM first, take advantage of what it offers. Then you will need to call in with very specific modifications that respect the layover stipulations to add the subsequent two or three switchbacks. I've had no problems concocting one-way TPACs that take seven days from origin to destination and that exceed 20k BIS on seven or more airlines. The value is superlative; it is the diametric opposite of a demand for 635k from PHL to FCO, not all of which was in J, as offered by a competitor.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. As noted above UA generally does not permit TATL for travel between the USA and Australia or New Zealand.

12. jpgisbd

jpgisbd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Feel like an idiot. Totally missed that. Thanks for repeating the answer without being to rough on me!

Wandering Aramean likes this.