Routing Help Using United Miles to SE Asia

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by LAM, Dec 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

I am getting ready to book two tickets for our SE Asia trip next fall using United miles. My ideal routing would be IAD to ITM to REP paid flight then KUL to DPS to IAD. The United website will not allow this so I started doing some digging on United routing rules. It appears the stop in Japan is throwing this off. Does anyone know if I call to book my tickets if a United rep could make this routing happen? My preferred routing with the open jaw from KUL to DPS will save some money, time and being nickeled and dimed on AirAsia. Also we could rearrange the order of the trip if that would make more sense. We are booking most of the trip in Economy and I will be trying to fly home in Business. There is very limited Business availability out of REP so I am trying not to fly home from there.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

ITM to REP is going to be a far more expensive ticket than DPS to KUL, I'd bet. And AirAsia isn't that bad, even with all the fees. Also, other airlines fly many of those routes. I also wouldn't worry too much about biz inventory out of REP versus getting to a hub (BKK or SIN most likely) and then picking up a biz award from there.

I did REP earlier this week by flying in to PNH on TG and then taking a boat up the river/lake. That's a single cabin flight AFAIK but not a huge deal for the hour. You'll probably end up doing a local hop (bus, boat or plane) from REP to PNH to get that as part of the award or pay cash for REP-BKK on Bangkok Air to start award travel from there. Silkair to SIN is another non-award option.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  3. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

ITM is basically a domestic airport in northern Osaka. KIX is the one with the most international flights. You can use "OSA" to search both airports simultaneously. UA only has three flights/day from KIX UA-34/35 to/from SFO and then two flights to GUM. To fly into ITM you would need to fly into either NRT or HND in Tokyo and then transfer, and often the connection is poor.

You might consider flying into ICN and then taking Asiana into KIX. It's only a 90 minute flight. Asiana flies to both DPS and PNH, although I hear that they are discontinuing DPS on March 1, 2016