Route Expansion

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rob, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing too dramatic, except the SFO-CDG is interesting given the IAH-CDG cancellation. SFO-TPE has existed off and on over the years. TPE traffic and/or freight must be improving again. Wonder if they'll keep NRT-TPE.

Much of it sounds like the kind of network optimization that the merger was expected to bring, likely analyzing traffic and fare data to find profitable adjustments. The absence of a single new IAH route is deafening, too

genemk2 and EWR764 like this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, am thrilled about SFO-CDG.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is.

No, it isn't. ;)

EWR and CLE also didn't get any new routes this time. They're being de-hubbed, too, right?? :oops:

ssullivan, unavaca and sdm1130 like this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great expansion at SFO. SAS is also starting SFO-CPH next year, which increases the number of Star seats to Europe significantly

Sean Colahan and unavaca like this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good onward connections at CPH, not so much at CDG which is also kind of a sucky airport. But it could be used for a 23-hour stopover if headed to ZRH or Germany

It appears to be operated by one of the reconfigured pmUA 763 ghettobirds, now C/Y+/Y- (no Global First)

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They explicitly mentioned the EWR-ITS and EWR-EZE routes as recent additions, so showing ERW some love. In any event, isn't EWR slot-constrained, so all they can do is upgauge or reallocate slots?

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you know far more about the airline industry than I do, but I would be very surprised if CLE isn't de-hubbed eventually.

9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, welcome the return of SFO-TPE.

Starting next year, there will be two *A options for TPE nonstop -- UA and BR!

desamo and genemk2 like this.
  10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't EWR pickup non-stop EZE service from the old IAD-EZE route?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and they added IST this month, too. But they didn't get anything in THIS announcement so it is clear that the company is shunning them.

It is a joke, though there are plenty who seem to actually be seriously suggesting that there is spite involved in these sorts of decisions.

And, to be fair, I do expect that CLE will teeter as a hub for a while, but not outright lose anything, at least for 2-3 years.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, the new United management has already proven that they are capable of doing things out of spite already, so who knows (just look at what they're saying down in Houston) ;)

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you believe this was a spite move?

Or are you just trolling around??

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an IAH traveller I don't think there was spite involved, but I also don't think it was coincidental that no new service was added. After all, UA just announced service CUTS to IAH (using the WN/City Council decision as a foil) so I'm not surprised they're not looking to expand right now.

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    He he.. No, I'm quite sure they have a lot more data than you and I have and that this was a business decision, but I'm sure the folks at IAH are reading more in to it as the SFO-CDG came just days after IAH-CDG was axed.

What I was referring to was United's recent moves in Houston which upsets a lot of folks down there for obvious reasons. That seems like a spite move to me as Southwest won't start operations down there for years.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you actually believe that those moves were based on the WN/Hobby/City Council actions then I'd say you're just as delusional as all the folks in Houston. Those moves were coming anyways. UA has latched on to the Hobby/WN thing as a reason/excuse for PR purposes but it is hard to believe that they'd keep running routes which have been money-losing for years just for fun.

Hartmann, LETTERBOY and sdm1130 like this.
  17. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure they saw that AF was making money hand over fist with the A380 on SFO-CDG and wanted a piece of that action.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  18. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The move to eliminate IAH-CDG isn't spite, but their link of it to the HOU issue is.

festdave and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one love more Europe non-stops from SFO.

20. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I said UA used that decision as a foil. I don't think "the decision" had anything to do with it.

ella and Geo like this.
  21. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the UA EZE desk is still mourning the loss of IAD - at least as of yesterday morning ;). Both agents spoke lovingly about NoVA and how they missed it. Not much love for EWR.

Cheers -

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not all of us in Houston are delusional about United's cuts/changes. Many of us understood they were eliminating unprofitable routes.

23. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although we do admit there are a LOT of people in Houston who are very sore in the britches over this. Mostly the ones who work for newspapers, City Government or the Tourism and Convention Board.

i.e. The one's with the bullhorns.

24. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't SFO/CDG use to be one of United's worst performing routes? With planes always full, but supposedly low yield (low premium traffic, many awards upgrades?)

I'd be very curious to understand how this has changed. Sure, the CO aircraft will not feature first class, but doesn't make much of a difference, especially on a 763 which would have had only 5 seats anyway.

Is it the CO merger that makes this route palatable again? If so, why?

The fact that services have been cut in CDG? (No more IFL, no more Arrivals) Probably hardly makes a dent.

New corporate contracts?

United has been historically weak at marketing in France. They're hardly known at all over there, and the majority of folks on UA flights are americans (according to my observations, at least.) Will this change?

Note that I'm delighted with the change, but extremely curious too.

25. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's actually a sUA aircraft. CO didn't have any 763's. It's a UA 763 that had been in the dense 2-class configuration (aka ghetto bird) and was (is being) refitted into international C/Y+/Y. I would imagine that the economics of that configuration are more favorable than the 3-class configuration UA used to fly (relatively fewer premium seats, more leisure seats). AF is flying an A380, so there must be some demand. Maybe they picked up some corporate contracts in the Bay area that were contingent on the route.

26. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you talk to the United folks about MegaDo stuff, do they ever ask you about posts like this? ;)