Round Trip or 2 one ways

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MaxSalvo, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MaxSalvo

MaxSalvo Member

I'm new at booking award travel and have a question that probably seems stupid to experienced users here. I think I know the answers but I want to make sure before doing something I might regret. I am use to always booking paid round trip tickets so I offer the following.

I finally earned enough miles to take my annual trip to China in FC. My question is - I notice that the availability of award travel tickets varies every few days. Sometimes I can find the right ticket to get there but at that particular time there isn't anything available during the time frame I have to return. Sometimes it works the other way around.

Question #1 - Is there any harm or reason why I cant go ahead and book a one way award ticket to China on one day and then book the return at a later date or the other way around?

#2 - Lets say I use award travel to book a flight from stl-ord-pek-csx on 10-09-12 but later find out that date isn't going to work. Am I only allowed to change that ticket to another date with the same exact routing or can I change it later to something different? I assume some type of award travel must be available on a day you want to change to. What is the typical cost to make changes once you book award travel for international flights?

Thanks for any info that can be provided.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

I'm not an expert, but I think the round trip might give you access to stopovers in route. I book one ways so I can grab the outbound as soon as it opens, then wait for the return to open.
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Yes, a return trip allows a stopover that a one-way does not. If you change a one-way to a return trip you can add the stopover in; fee there will depend on elite status.

Regarding changing a one-way award (or any award, really) the fees are based on elite status, what you change and when you change it. If you change to a new travel date 21+ days out and keep the same cabin and carriers there are no fees, even if the routing changes. If you switch carriers or cabin there may be a fee based on status. If you do it inside 21 days there may be a fee based on status.

Also note that booking for travel on 10 October - 17 days from now - will incur a fee depending on status.

The full fee schedule is here:
    iolaire likes this.