Round the word positioning...

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by ahow628, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to take a RTW flight in the next year or two. Just wanted to see if one has any info on the best spot to start from.

Personally, I am going to be doing a OneWorld RTW and have heard Asia (specifically Indonesia) is a good starting place as the RTW fare will be much cheaper. Unfortunately, the OneWorld trip planner removed the fare pricing from their site.

Anyone want to chip in their knowledge or provide links with information on some good options for starting a RTW?

2. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    JNB was the cheapest when I checked late last year.

ahow628 likes this.
  3. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! My uncle lives there and we were hoping to visit. Maybe we can make that our starting point and get there on an award flight. Thanks!

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Often middle east countries are a good place to start a DONE or AONE.

5. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome.

I booked a DONE4 from JNB for around $7000 USD. Saved about $5000!

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    CMB used to be, I don't know if it still is

7. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Youch. Just priced a similar itinerary then on the oneworld website and it priced out at $9.8k! Have the prices jumped that much??

8. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    (Note of course "cheap" depends somewhat on your currency situation.)

In USD terms, the "cheapest" places for business class or higher are currently Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and Namibia, followed by most sub-Saharan Africa. You can start xONE3s from TLV, AMM, CAI or RUH but must buy a minimum 4-continent trip from anywhere in Africa.

It's important to note that it's not just the "sticker" price on the xONEx that you need to consider, it's also the issuing airline and its treatment of fuel surcharges. RTW tickets issued by BA or Qantas carry very high fuel fines (mislabeled as "taxes" on the invoice.) Tickets issued by AA tend not to have nearly as much added for fuel surcharges; I usually mentally add 12% to the base price for tickets issued by BA vs. 7% for tickets issued by AA. It will of course depend on your route. Note that AA issues tickets on behalf of Royal Jordanian (e.g. for AMM originations.) You can do some "what if" explorations using the online booking tool - just bail out when you get to the credit card screens.

And do figure in access costs, including assigning some arbitrary "value" to FF miles if you plan to use redemption tickets to get to Cape Town or Tel Aviv. You might find that the total out-of-pocket "cost" might be cheaper from someplace in Europe. Right now, of course, the USD is in the tank relative to most other currencies; that's why TLV is a good deal, as it's priced in USD, not Shekels.

bluesky and ahow628 like this.