rotting 500 mile upgrades... any use?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont suppost one can swap unused 500 mile upgrades for AA miles, or...? I have 32 of these upgrades sitting in my account for at least 5-6 years now and I never seem to be able to use them. Since I no longer have any AA status, they are worthless for upgrades as there is no chance I will purchase a full Economy fare.

Any chance these can be redeemed for mileage...? any other creative uses for these...???

Thanks,
    Alex

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you call up AA and you don't really have any use for this, I believe you can get 500 miles/upgrade.

jpripcord, Bluto and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... amazing, thanks for the info. I will give them a call sometime next week and see if they can turn these dust collectors into something useful !!!! :D

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...upgrades-stickers-miles-rdm-consolidated.html

"• It IS possible to exchange or convert 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers) to redeemable miles (RDM) at a rate of 500 miles per sticker. The stickers are supposed to have been earned rather than purchased. It may take multiple phone calls to AAdvantage Customer Service to find an agent to make this exchange, and the agent may require that your travel pattern does not allow you to use earned stickers (e.g., mostly paid J/F travel or international travel).

• It IS NOT possible to transfer 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers) to other AAdvantage accounts."

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this.... I have to say Im a little surprised that you have to hunt for an agent that "approves" your travel patters and will do this. I basically dont fly AA much anymore... and when I do I park the miles in LANPASS... so I cant use these darned things... I lack all AA status.... do I have a case...????

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it!

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... :D

I think I can now go to sleep happy..... so, 32 upgrade certs at 500 miles each.... thats not a bad addition to my balance... ;)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So my saga of stupid questions continues..... can I call the AA service desk here in Argentina or should I call the USA..? I wonder if a US CSR will be able to touch an account that is not based in the US... and then I wonder if the local CSR team is empowered to handle such a "delicate" transaction...????

:confused:

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so yesterday I called the American Airlines service desk that they have here in Buenos Aires. Asked the agent about doing this and he had to put me on hold..... and then came back and said that you have to have elite status to be able to do this...... so unless I can get my account back to Gold Status, they will not exchanget these certificates for miles.......

Does anybody have experience with this....?

Thanks,
    Gaucho

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that's a posted/public "rule", then that agent is correct and perhaps it's a dead issue. if not, perahps another phone call to the US (ask for the Tuscon office, they're consistently the best, IMHO) might prove helpful.

11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... didnt know you could call AA in the US and ask to be connected to a specific office.

12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone knows anything about elite status and swapping these certs, pls let me know...

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Everything I've read about doing the swap has never mentioned needing elite status.

This is an unpublished policy so it's hard to nail down. I'd definitely invoke the FFer motto: "hang up and call again".

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... the agend did say that there is no wording in the terms and conditions, and thats why it was not possible to swap.... but then he did say that if I got qualified to Gold they would do this. Guess this is a grey area in the rules of AAdvantage...???

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried again here in EZE today and after being on hold for 10 minutes, the agent came back and said that he could not swap these for miles... no more detais, he just said "we dont do this"... no mention on his part about elite status.

Hmmm................. :confused:

16. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you use Skype for a toll-free call to AA in the US (800/882-8880)?

Gaucho likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will do just that..... and be back to report what happens.

Thanks,
    Gaucho

18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive struck out with AA in Argentina in trying to get these certs converted to miles.... they insist that you have to be elite. If someone has an update on this and can post something, this would be greatly appreciated.

I have to still try the US AAdvantage number... I guess I will do this when Im in the States towards the end of the month. Question... wont the US telephone rep figure out that I have an account not based in the USA and request me to call AA here in Argentina to deal with this...???

19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought in the past non-NAmerican based members could exchange their 500s for miles, the rationale being these could not be used on international routes so those who seldom flew up here should be able to receive a modified benefit. However, also thought this was discontinued years ago. The elite thing seems a bit silly. (I've got four left over from my pre-ExecPlat days.)