Rosetta Stone On Sale

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by perryplatypus, Jun 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone interested in Rosetta Stone, Staples.com is having an incredible sale on it. And yes it is cheaper then the Rosetta Stone site. Level 123 is price $80 cheaper and level 12345 is $100 cheaper. I went through the UR mall and used my Bold to pick up the the 7x points. (Wish it was still 10x) I also had a coupon that dropped the price again on the sale price! Just wanted to give everyone the heads up as Rosetta Stone is an expensive bugger and I don't typically see it on sale much. ;)

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone actually used it and felt it was worth the money? I have heard of it before but have never head from anyone on how effective it is for the price.

4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would prefer a DVD that I can play of TV that shows the English and foreign subtitles while speaking.

Never found one as sometimes I don't get the sounds right on pronunciation.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the Level 123 price originally as you state $80 cheaper?
    What is UR mail?
    Where did you get the coupon?
    Which language did you buy?

uggboy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mall. Ultimate Rewards mall.

uggboy, rwoman and perryplatypus like this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you sign up for this? What is using his Bold mean?

uggboy likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I didn't buy Rosetta Stone, but I do have an UR Mall account. Bold credit card (it's a Chase card that offers extra points at office stores, as far as I know).

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess the coupon discount remains a mystery.
    Glad to know "his Bold" is a Ultimate Rewards mail account and not something he carries with him daily!
    Still not sure what the final price for Rosetta Stone Level 123 was.

uggboy likes this.
  10. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    I bought French level 1,2,3. The price on staples is $319.20 and is normally on the Rosetta Stone site $399. But doesn't matter what language as Staples has many different ones available and all are on sale. They even have level 1 versions available for a $35.00 discount for only $143.20. I have a long standing account with Staples so they send me coupons all the time on their catalogs and e-mail. The one I had was $30 off $150 purchase. But you can find staples coupons all the time online if you just google for them. The UR mall is the chase ultimate rewards mall but you can go many other shopping portals for cash back, miles or points. Like Ebates, AA mall, United Mall, Delta Mall, Amex rewards, ect

wrxmom, iolaire, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  11. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    I'll let you know. I have read a lot of reviews that are very positive. I have never used the program but I like the smart phone apps and Ipad that can be used with the program. Also included in any level you buy you get LIVE online Practice sessions led by native-French speaking tutors! I have been hemming and hawing around about buying it for awhile now but the sale pushed me over the fence. Originally I thought about only getting level one but with the sale I decided to get the larger set. Also like anything, since I spent more money on it I will be more apt (or forced) to put the learning time into it so I can get the full value out of it :)

wrxmom, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  12. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with it. I hope it works for you.

uggboy, rwoman and perryplatypus like this.
  13. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what type of learner you are. Rosetta Stone is computer-based, so if you are very self-motivated to turn on the computer every day and practice, and don't mind computer learning, then it can work for you. If you're a person who would prefer to just listen to the lessons whenever you have free time (like while you're cleaning up, driving, going to sleep, in the bathroom getting ready in the morning, etc.), you'd be better off with a different program that you can just pop into a CD player, play from your phone, etc., that doesn't require a computer.

14. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    sandwich au jambon;)

uggboy likes this.
  15. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staples coupons are like crack to me. I get mine from http://ccccpn.com. I also use ebates for cash back, making pretty much anything I get ridiculously cheap.

iolaire, uggboy, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  16. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this site. Staples coupons are definitely like crack :)

Casey Friday, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, perryplatypus! :)

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  18. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh . . . has anyone visited that site today (6/29)? A friendly "seizure notice" appears.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what happens if you sell crack online :D

perryplatypus and Freddie Listo like this.
  20. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used the Spanish version (latin America) and it is not as good as the TV ads claim or as bad as the online reviews claim either. I have found you need to use it every day on order to see any real benefits. There no translation or English. Just a bunch of pictures and you have to chose the correct one. It is repetitive and can get very boring. But, if you make an attempt to learn it does slowly build upon its self. It starts (Spanish anyway) with very basic words like man,woman, dog, cat etc etc etc. That is my major issue with it, no useful word or phrases early on that you can use when interacting with people. If you pick this up a week before a trip to Paris, Rio, Moscow or Madrid you will be lost. But, if you start using it 6 months or so, and use it a little.every day (along with having a dictionary and writing down the words i feel help me) you should be able to survive and interact with people. Fluent you will not be, but it should help.

I found it helpful, but I do live in Houston so Spanish is all around me so i am exposed to the language anyway.

Just my .02 worth.

21. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally have used thos eand the Pimsleur language CDs..and overall I like Pimsleur better...although using both would be nice. I think RS teaches more vocabulary, whereas Pimsleur teaches dialogue and phrases. In 15 days of Pim you can ask and answer basic questions while travelling such as "where is the bathroom" "how much do I owe you" "I understand/don't understand/speak English/X language" etc. After a month of RS, you still won't know how to say "where is the bathroom?"

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  22. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Status Points:
    That is really smart price I think

23. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I f you want a similar learning tool that is free online, try livemocha.com. I hear the lessons are set up just like the Rosetta Stone lessons, but there are more benefits.

Livemocha is set up also as a social media site to connect with native speakers, but you don't have to use it this way. However, the main benefit is during the practice testing, both written and verbal. Native speakers can review your work and critique it for both verbal and written exercises to help you progress quicker. You also have the opportunity, similarly, to help people learning English.

I started using it a couple years ago and thought it was great. I got too busy with my graduate school work to devote much time to it, but I plan to go back for more when I get a chance.

SC Flier likes this.
  24. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another free alternative to check out: duolingo.com

Learn about it here:
    CAPTCHA teaches you a foreign language better than Rosetta Stone for free http://on.ted.com/AUyi