Room Service and Your Attire

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IMGone, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you order room service, when do request its arrival ... when you first wake, after showering or once you're fully dressed for your day? Is this an opportunity to make use of that that hotel bathrobe, or are you always dressed? All those Hyatt Diamonds enjoying free room service should be able to provide some insights here.

Personally, I don't seem to be able to time room service correctly. I either end up waiting for it, when I really want to be on my way, or it comes when I'm not ready for whatever reason (showering, dressing, ...) As mornings are not a favorite, I'm usually rushed and once I'm up, I just want to shower, dress and get out.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is precisely why I prefer to avoid room service. I'm willing to open the door pre-shower or wearing a thick and covered-up bathrobe, but I hate to postpone a shower while I wait. (Recently I had an issue with the butler coffee service delivery time at the Singapore St Regis that caused me to be late for a meeting.)

If you're female, you might want to note that a few hotels offer special floors for women guests. In some of these, the practice is for room service to be delivered by female staff. This might make you more comfortable about opening the door when not completely dressed for the day.

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presumably you are referring to breakfast. Rarely done via room service, but when, right after waking up and in a robe :)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. It can be relaxing in the evening to shed business clothes or sit around in a robe after a swim.

5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most Hyatt Diamonds enjoy the club rooms at resorts....and save room service for something else....but that being said......there is no point in having room service breakfast (while on vacation) if you are all ready to leave the room :) Definitely the nice bathrobe and sitting on the lanai waiting for it to come....enjoying the sunrise and some Kona coffee :)

6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have the patience for room service breakfast. When I do room service in the evening, I usually have on lounging-type pants and tee if I've already gotten comfortable.

Many hotels will send female room service waiters if requested by female guests.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm often in an undershirt and athletic shorts, hope they don't mind much...

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to know where the bathrobe is, just in case! :D :oops:

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Bathrobe typically. I like room service in the morning- I can wake up a little more slowly.

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not want to wake up more slowly, I just want to sleep longer!:eek:

sobore likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We love to take advantage of room service, means longer sleeping time in the morning and a great private long dinner in the evening! But our attire? Mostly casual, sometimes dressed up to go out in the morning but mostly with shorts and t-shirts. Room service dinner after a long bath, wonderful!

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually try to avoid room-service ... I find I order too much and eat too much - if I get out of the room, it is better. On top of that room-service with all the service charges, etc. is ridiculously expensive IMHO.

uggboy likes this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, sometimes we order really too much! But in our encounters we found room-service very good and fair, we value privacy and paying a bit more for this extra service goes a long way with us.

On the Price // Value ratio, yes, room service has charges attached but again, we often eat out of the room too, it is really only so much better in the morning or a private evening to have some time to prepare for the day or get some quality time on the end of the day.

14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they've seen worse!

15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We LOVE the Park Hyatt Washington DC and as Diamonds, the breakfasts are incredible. That said, as wonderful as it is, the service ranges from slow to excruciating. And my son and his family live in DC so when they come, they bring the kids, who are usually bonkers by the time the food comes.

Last visit, we did room service the last day. Arrived exactly when requested, avoided over-eating at the buffet and it was really perfect for us. My sense is that each hotel is different and we have different reasons for traveling. If I had a business meeting to go to, I'd have to skip the restaurant at this wonderful hotel.

16. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Attire? :D

17. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    For breakfast....I can't get the timing right either, so usually end up with just a towel wrapped around on me as I'm not done getting ready.
    For dinner... generally whatever I had on that day.

18. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I commonly order room service in the mornings to eat while I'm getting ready - or sometimes in the evening (particularly on a night when I might need to wash/dry my hair due to a very early next day flight).

I usually will order my room service immediately prior to stepping into the shower. Then I'll towel off and be in pajamas or in a robe (over my underpinnings) when it arrives. I never leave the door closed when room service is in the room - I stand AT the door keeping the door open while they are in the room and I'll sign the check when they are back in the hallway. This after a very creepy room service incident in a nicer hotel about a decade ago where the delivery guy decided to sit down on my bed and offered to "keep me company" while I ate my breakfast. Ack!

ctporter likes this.
  19. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that if I request the meal be delivered at a particular time, most hotels are pretty good at getting the timing right. If I want to shower and then eat, I'll usually order and request that it be delivered 40 minutes later. And I give them the exact time so they don't have to do the math and add wrong ;)

ACMM likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four Seasons is amazing for this- usually within 2-3 minutes of the order requested time.

21. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    in many of my experiences there is more than 1 person doing the delivery. frequently i stay in suites. i have no problem asking them to leave it in the room due to me getting ready. i never see them at all.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never thought of doing that... great idea!

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This assumes that you don't keep your door deadbolted (especially when using the shower) and that the hotel doesn't require that you sign for room service. It also would seem to require that the hotel room have a safe, as I wouldn't want hotel staff to see a wallet, my watch, etc. while I'm obviously in the shower.